Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gday all just like to have your opinion on which of the 3 make the best pet and y?

Have heard that spotted's are more likely to be bitey and Stimson more friendly

What are your opinions

Any info on this would b good thanks

Cheers Steve & Sue

I love the look and potentially larger size that a spotted provides. I have a friend with a few children's and she loves them to bits... her ones are definitely a better temperament than my girl but to me she's just fine...

I do love the look of the stimmie's and would probably consider getting one down the track for my girlfriend as size is a big issue of hers... she thinks the big snakes are angrier.

If it's your first snake it doesn't really matter - whatever one you like best.. Just because a species of snake is "well known" for being placid doesn't mean it's going to be placid.

It's like when I got my Murray Darling Carpet Pythong, Everyone says they're perfect for a first snake as they're placid etc etc, he wanted to kill me LOL he'd bite you 30 odd times in 2 minutes - He's calmed down with age though.

I have a Stimson Python and she's lovely, and isn't one bit snappy. But that doesn't mean that if you get one you'll be so lucky. Each snake has it's own temperment. If you can choose from a clutch of snakes, ask the breeder if you can handle the snakes to see what their temperments are like.

i just got a male stimson that is awesome, he is my first snake and he has never even looked like biting. he is great to study with as i just get him out and he lies across my lap so i cant get up to procrastinate ;) he is a bit of a troublesome feeder however as he some times just ignores the rat. my boyfriend got a female to breed with my guy and she has no feeding problems and they are the both so great to handle

cool thanks for all that the reason i ask is that i have got a spotted he is 1 year old and is as bitey as hell.
Have been offered a hatchling spotted but just wonted to no if they are all bittey or not i will most likely take him cos he is a good looking little feller

I have an adult spotted and he never thinks about biting out of fear. He's one of those snakes that you can scoop up from the cage and put him around your neck. I'm fair game at feeding time, however.

I also had a hatchling that was a terrible biter but she calmed down quickly with some handling.

So spotteds aren't always bitey. It just depends on the individual. My best advice would be to buy a snake that has a good reputation. If you can find an adult with a history of being docile, go for that.

I have two Stimsons that I have had for around 3 years and are very placid and have never bitten. I also have a pair of spotteds that are around 12 months old. The female was very snappy originally, but has settled down well. The Male was a lot calmer, but as he has gotten older he quite often tries to eat me. he often latches on to my finger and tries to swallow it. Like Korbin's it is not bioting out of fear.

Unfortunately this is a generalisation as I know people who have snappy Stimsons and other with very calm spotteds. It is really up to the individual. Most will settle down with time and regular handling, however some may never settle down.

If you are buying locally pick up the snake and see how it reacts first.

My daughter got a children's very placid, so I bought one- very bitey, now I have 2 spotteds that are placid as anything

Our spotted is not bitey AT ALL, he is the sweetest, gentlest little thing, very curious about what is going on around him, but not bitey or aggressive or anything! Love him, plus I thiink the Spotteds are just gorgeous!

My stimson is beautiful she would never bite (at least i don't think) I had my 5 year old cousin hold her and she was a bit rough (not to rough just 5 year old rough) and nothing Esmeralda was nice as pie.

My spotted tried to bite me maybe twice when i first got it 18 months ago, but only because it was new and nervous. This only happened when i reached into it's enclosure. It's always been very easy to handle. It also has a very good feeding response, having never refused a feed. I think they make a great first snake. I've heard Stimmies can be troublesome feeders but i guess it comes down to the individual.

Whats the difference between Children's, Spotteds and Stimmi's? - Sorry for hijacking

hi there i have four blond macs actually two are spottedxblond its always helps going to an older reputable breeder and always worth finding out the parents nature all snakes are individle have diferent natures i have an older pair out of the two the male so placid do anything with him the girl was more nervous but with alot of time and attention shes calmed right down never have any of my snakes bittern me the two babies i have are placid two if your gentle and handle them alot it helpes alot but y always get some that are stropy sometimes i got my snakes of shane scarf he breeds them has a good reputation for placid snakes hes on the forsale site at the moment selling babies check him out i recomend him mias

I have a spotted, I dont think it would know how to bite....lol..

Its my 1st snake and he would be about 2 months old, I have had it for a bit over a month.
I would recommended a spotted, but as the others say all snakes wil bite..

I have at least one of each of these snakes, so in my opinion my stimmies are the most placid and relaxed. My childreni are the most likely to s up at me when i approach the enclosure, with the most potential to strike. The maccy is an older one, and is very placid and has never bitten or struck. But thats just mine, i guess you would need to assess each individual snake on its own personality and maybe not so much species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back