Colour changing as pythons age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slytherin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie and curious - Has anyone found that their young morelia pythons colours and patterns change obviously as they age? (Besides the GTP :rolleyes:) Or put another way - Can you tell what a python is going to look like as an adult when they are still young...Can their colour and/or patterning change significantly? Can this vary among the hatchlings of one clutch?

I have a 6mth old SA MD and am curious as to what he/she may develop into and if there is the likelyhood of it getting the tan/brown within its patterns even though its patterns are still only black. (Its father has only a little of this colouration but I couldn't tell from the mother as she was due for a shed.)

:D

Do you think there may be a chance that some tan/brown could appear as he/she ages? I love the contrast on Snakey now, and the black patterns are intricate, it would be fantastic if he/she would 'colour up' a little.

Hey Slytherin

Jungles for example can be a really nice black and gold as youngsters then dull out dramatically as they age.

Scorps

Thats interesting, I wonder why. Isn't it normally the other way around in nature, dull when young, getting more brilliant when older?

bredlis are the opposite. normally dark and dull as babies, but colour up beautifully as adults.

What about Murray Darlings, especially the ones with the red-brown in them, is that able to be seen in the hatchies/juvvies or does that only come in as they get older?

my little diamond didnt look to special whten it was younger but even at 6months its starting to show some really nice yellows which werent there before:)

I breed MD's and they tend to colour up best at about 12-18mths old. A lot depends on the parents. The line that I breed are very much a black and silver/white colours with very little brown. My Adults have very good colouring and they are between 7 and 10 yrs old. MD's markings don't seem to change that much compared to other species. Once it's about 12mths old it should stay very similar and only fade out a little with age, but this does depend on the quality of the parents it's come from.

The brown/tan colour will also depend on weather or not your inland is from the nsw strain or vic.
vic has more tan/brown have a look at my 7mth old after her last shed.

Attachments

• 31072008123.jpg
    31072008123.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 91
I've got the SA Murray Darling. It has a light fawn colour overlaid with black markings that vary from circles at the head to stripes and finally squiggles on the tail. Underneath its a nice light silver. I'm hoping it will gain a little tan (red-brown) within the black striped sections, as Ive seen many others have.

MoreliaMatt just told me that his beautiful MD Ella started off like Snakey with only black patterning on a silvery background, then later the rich red-brown grew in. :D I can see some on the father so, the chances are high of Snakey getting some! (Matt's Ella came from the same place as Snakey) Thanks MoreliaMatt for your PM. :D :D :D

no worries.....

shes just eaten, so once shes digested, i'll get you some new pics on the weekend of her!

Thanks! I talked to Jason at Reptile City and discovered that my Snakey has the same parents as your Ella! :D The female had only shed yesterday and was beautiful with all the red-brown on her as well as the lighter colourations underneath. With the male having some of the red-brown and the female having lots, I'd say I have a pretty high chance of getting a similar coloured snake. Reptile City has some beautiful MDs. :D :D :D

I put photos of the Murray Darling breeding pair in my album called 'Snakey', as well as in the main gallery under 'Morelia spilota metcalfei'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back