Combined Freshwater planted aquarium / Knobtailed gecko tank...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radar

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just a pic or 2 of my latest display tank.
It's a standard 4ft tank, that I've installed glass dividers on. They are about 20cm apart at the front and angle back to about 45cm apart at the back of the tank. The middle section holds a micro planted freshwater aquarium, with ambulia, hairgrass, milfoil, a banana lilly and some lilaeopsis. There's also a bit of duckweed on the surface, it keeps my algae and ammonia levels under control, and I keep it under control
icon_smile.gif
There's a few cherry shrimp and 3 small BN catfish in there as well for interest. Lights are a 12 inch T5 Powerglo and a 48 inch T8 Aquaglo, substrate is fine black gravel (2-3mm) with a layer of laterite mixed in. I use Seachem fertilizer tabs, Florish excel and 'Florapride' liquid fertiliser (couldn't seem to find anything else when I set it up).

In each end I house geckos. A pair of N. levis levis in one end, and currently a single box patterned gecko in the other, although that will soon become a pair of asper instead :p
The way it's set up, the geckos sleep all day when the lights are on, and the fish/shrimp are acitve, when the lights go off the geckos come out for a feed and romp around. I've always been worried that if the glass collapses Im gonna drown/suffocate not only my pets (the girlfriend would kill me) but also lose a few pretty expensive animals in the process. Hasn't happened yet though
WoohooSmiley.gif

Anyway, pics....these are from a couple of weeks back before I had any shrimp or fish in there. Im still cycling the tank so stocking is minimal atm. I've also got rid of the defunct 2 footer underneath and put my scorp/tarantula tanks along the bottom.

fishgecks.jpg

fishgecks2.jpg

fishgecks 3.jpg

Because I can ;) I like juxtaposition, things beside each other that don't belong there, and it makes a cool display piece. Not to mention the girl immediately claimed that side of the bed as hers :lol:

Im interested in everything, not just reptiles, I also keep heaps of native tarantulas (got 2 egg sacks this season), scorps, grow unusual native plants (pitcher plants, desert bushfoods, etc) and collect some cool antiques (18th century weapons from around the world, coins from past civilizations, rare fossils, etc). No wonder Im broke, lmfao.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I did a fair bit of testing to ensure it would hold water before I actually set it up, then re-enforced it some more, so it should be ok.......hopefully....

Jinjin, yeah, she bought me 3 cans of the stuff. Apparenly I either don't smell bad enough after 10hrs working in the sun, or its the only thing that smells bad enough to cover my stench, Im not sure.

Gordo,
Haven't found it has affected them at all. In the old tank I just had heat cord under one section for them, and in this tank I've done the same thing. The lights go off at night, so it doesn't really raise ambients during the night time, only during the day, and they are always in the hides at their warm end, so it's not too hot for them. The heat cord is at each end, away from the water, so it doesnt affect the water on the *****ide either. Although the fish are tropicals, I don't heat the tanks over winter, our house buffers pretty well so have no issues there.

Cheers.

Jinjin, yeah, she bought me 3 cans of the stuff. Apparenly I either don't smell bad enough after 10hrs working in the sun, or its the only thing that smells bad enough to cover my stench, Im not sure.

Gordo,
Haven't found it has affected them at all. In the old tank I just had heat cord under one section for them, and in this tank I've done the same thing. The lights go off at night, so it doesn't really raise ambients during the night time, only during the day, and they are always in the hides at their warm end, so it's not too hot for them. The heat cord is at each end, away from the water, so it doesnt affect the water on the *****ide either. Although the fish are tropicals, I don't heat the tanks over winter, our house buffers pretty well so have no issues there.

Cheers.

Sweet as mate. I was thinking that it may have caused the elcosures to be too cold because the water will act as a pretty massive heat sink. What temps do the gecks need? They are pretty low aren't they? like 25-8 right?

Yeah, I've never had them any warmer than 30, and they do fine, eat HEAPS, digest quick, always active, grow fast. I do give them a cool end with moist sand, they love to dig in that and always crap in the cool end. It doesn't really get that cool up here, I can't remember the last time we had 5C, lol, anything below about 15C and they just hang out in the warm end.

Haha, its like im at the Reptile Park and the Aquarium!.

For some reason to me it doesn't seem out of place.. looks friggin awesome!!!

Nice work!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back