corroboree frog?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a correct statement.

Gouldian Finches are endangered, Princess Parrots are threratened - you can keep them.

In the rest of the world, Golden hamster's are a very common pet, yet they are extinct in the wild.

Spix's Macaw is extinct in the wild, but most of the captive birds are in private hands.

Endangered in the wild doesn't necessarily mean private individuals can't keep them
would that be a reason to keep them?

if it wasn't for a privet colector in canada who had 3 snow leopard's and a couple in moglia(can't spell) who had 5 there would be no snow leopards. Privet colectors and zoos also saved curton coral.

now i dont think any person should be able to keep the but i belive something needs to be done. and i dont think money to the save our animals foundation etc. really help in the long term because land is worth more money than any animal in the goverment's eyes,
im sorry if i have upset anyone thats just me

Ive seen Snow Leapards before in Australian and US Zoo's, and i havnt been to Canada or Mongolia(if thats what you ment)

Are you talking about a long time ago, that only 8 existed?

Matt

Ive seen Snow Leapards before in Australian and US Zoo's, and i havnt been to Canada or Mongolia(if thats what you ment)

Are you talking about a long time ago, that only 8 existed?
no in not saying they are the only 8, in about 1975-76 these 8 were the basis of there breeding program. now there a a feir few in captivity, but now they are fighting cross breeding as they left it to late to start. there are some in the wild but there pretty much gorn.
alot of the worlds snow leopard are from these blood lines

Hix said:
Endangered in the wild doesn't necessarily mean private individuals can't keep them

Ashley Morris said:
would that be a reason to keep them?

Ashley,

I think you misunderstood me. I was merely pointing out to Timothy that just because something is endangered doesn't mean that private keepers can't keep them. "Endangered" refers to their status in the wild. Whether that's a reason to keep them or not is another matter.

Ashley Morris said:
if it wasn't for a privet colector in canada who had 3 snow leopard's and a couple in moglia(can't spell) who had 5 there would be no snow leopards.

Haven't heard that one. Are you sure it's Snow Leopards they're talking about?

:p

Hix

ashley_morris22 said:
if it wasn't for a privet colector in canada who had 3 snow leopard's and a couple in moglia(can't spell) who had 5 there would be no snow leopards.

There are an estimated 5,000 to 7,000 snow leopards in the wild.

All I seem to be seeing here is people trying to use the endangered status of a species as an excuse to be able to keep them.

1. The resources every individual would need could be far better used collectively to help save the environment.

2. If it did come down to only captive populations, spreading a few frogs each over a large number of amateur keepers would not be the best option by a long shot.

The frogs are being wiped out by a virus (chytrid - or something like that), it has nothing to do with habit destruction by man, most of the areas where the frogs still exist today are only accesable by helicpoper. Taronga have a programme going along with another institute in Victoria, they are captive hatching the frogs and releasing them at mature age in a hope they will develop a resistance to the virus over time. This can be a long time process as the virus has been affecting these frogs for around 20 years and if they don't develop a resistance they will be extinct in around 8 years. The Zoo will hopefully have a breeding programme up and running soon once the frogs get to breeding age so at least they will survive in captivity.

As for being kept by private keepers, if you can supply them a sphagnum bog in about 5 deg C and colder during winter then you might have a chance of keeping them :D:D

hugsta said:
The frogs are being wiped out by a virus (chytrid - or something like that), it has nothing to do with habit destruction by man

It has everything to do with man. The frogs eggs are immune to the fungus (which was introduced by to Australia by man) and global warming (caused by man) is thought to be as much to blame for their decline by changing the rainfall cycle in the frogs habitat.

Everything Hugsta said is exactly right. Chytrid fungus is by far the main cause driving these guys to extinction, further increased by drought in some years.
With only a couple of hundred left in the wild, there's certainly not enough to give to private keepers. If you want to see them, head to Taronga (I was there recently, they've got a large container set up in the public area) or Melbourne Zoo. The Amphibian Research Centre also has Southerns and Tidbinbilla has Northerns. The aim of the releases at the moment seems to be to keep the populations in the wild long enough to build a resistance to this fungus, like some species have done a little further north. It is the only hope of the species.
Also, although their range has contracted, lack of habitat has nothing to do with these guys going downhill. Their small range is due to the specific habitat they occupy.

Are you sure it's Snow Leopards they're talking about?

I'm pretty sure that's not the case for snow leopards. Perhaps he means the mongolian wild horse (Przwalski wild horse), which was down to 15(?) individuals, all held in various european zoos. Luckily, they don't seem to be all that adversely affected by the severe inbreeding encountered. A few years back they reintroduced X (i can't remember how many) horses (some came from Western Plains Zoo), and now the population, bolsered by subsequent releases, is nearing 350-400 animals. The first generation of wild born animals (originating from the release animals) are just beginning to breed now.

-H

Nagraj said:
hugsta said:
The frogs are being wiped out by a virus (chytrid - or something like that), it has nothing to do with habit destruction by man

It has everything to do with man. The frogs eggs are immune to the fungus (which was introduced by to Australia by man) and global warming (caused by man) is thought to be as much to blame for their decline by changing the rainfall cycle in the frogs habitat.

Yes, if you want to go to the initial cause, the virus was introduced intially by man bringing in exotic species and the virus spreading, however, my comment was in regard to mans destruction of habitat, which is not the cause of the extinction, it is the virus, as their habitats are not affected by any human presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back