cotton fabric for a substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andie

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a totally dumb question...

Would it be safe to have hemmed sheets of cotton fabric cut to size as a substrate for hatchling Pogona Henrylawsoni? I would cut them to fit my tank exactly and hem them to prevent fraying.

I can see how convenient it would be for me to make say 7 of them, change it each day and wash them in the machine all together once a week

Would the cotton itself it be safe for the lizard?
Would the laundry detergent harm the lizard?
What if I washed with cider vinegar instead of powder detergent?

The other things I might want to use are those round glass beads which are about the size of a 10c piece. There is no way the lizards could eat them each one would be the size of its head!

Or brown paper. But I can see this getting $$ over time.

I also wouldn't mind using astro turf/reptile carpet but can you get it in brown?

I just think newspaper is ugly but I #1 want to do what is best for my little friends.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

My partner uses turf/carpet in his jungle enclosure. His is green though and just from memory I don't remember seeing any brown, although they probably do have it. He finds it quite easy to keep clean.

There is a brown/red coloured Marine Carpet available from Bunnings (in Victoria at least.)

im wondering if a beardies toe nail would get caught up in the fabric? i dont think its worth the risk. just use paper

im wondering if a beardies toe nail would get caught up in the fabric? i dont think its worth the risk. just use paper
I was wondering that too. Thats why I asked. :D

I can get a giant roll of the creamy brown butcher's paper from an education supplier for a decent price so I think I'll use that. It is just that my enclosure is class (my old turtle tank) so there is no hiding anything ugly.

Thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back