Crappy season

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I've seen that alot of herp breeders have had a terrible season so thought i would add my bad luck story this season. As many of you know i breed insects, mainly phasmids, over the past couple of seasons i have built my collection up to about 30 phasmid species, some newly discovered and others completely unknown to the hobby. Last couple of years i have had some amazing success rates but this season has gone the complete opposite. Many species i have had great success with in the past have had 90-100% mortality rates with some even completely failing to hatch. Quite disappointing, lets hope next season is better for all of us

thats no good hornet...

Maybe the humidity has been a bit high with the heavy rain falls?

In the last 5 dry years i found my Scorps had bred in droves being kept in good conditions
This year was a lot slower for me too...

that normally brings them out in plagues, the only thing thats been real different this season was the heavy early rain we had but i wouldnt have thought that would have done any harm. Also i noticed going out invert hunting nothing was out and about at a time of the year when there should have been heaps. Very weird season thats for sure

yeah,,,good rain gets them out,,, but heavy rain washes them out of hides where they drown, washed away or are eaten by prey..

where do you live?

I have had an ok year with the geckos with some
Minor hiccups but nothing major

I thought invert eggs where indestructible

I've had a cracker year with pythons, every female dropped a clutch and only becasue of incubator mishap early on, I lost some eggs but still have 6 clutches incubating nicely with 1 lost due to my bad.

j

sorry I didn't go great last year but this year I will have stiped babies, ghost babies, olive babies, and jungles babies, in fact the GHOST darwins are hatching now.
I am also experimenting with my own versin of incubating this year and if works well will post about it, but so far eggs look perfect.

jas

Its all just starting to kick off for me here, Pygmy Bearded Female will drop eggs tomorrow! 1st Clutch of the season 8]

I have loads of little pede's (green rubripes). Some skinks have hatched already but the rest are still cooking or still gravid so fingers crossed.

This season has been pretty good to me so far. Last year however was terrible, lots of eggs going full term with full developed hatchies but just never getting out of the egg. Not sure if it was due to female condition or what? Im thinking it may be either cooking them to warm or not sufficient gas exchange. Been fanning all my eggs this season.

yea snakes as well as i have seen posts from a few members complaining about big losses this season. Some breeders have had no probs and by the sounds of it lizards are still goin well this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back