Darwin and Kakadu Holiday

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

outbackstorm

Reaction score
Recently I went for a trip to Darwin and managed to squeeze in a whirlwind tour of Kakadu while I was there. Didn't get to take my camera everywhere and didn't get to do any serious herping however still turned up some cool critters in my opinion. The scenery is just something else up there as well.

First up some croc jumping on the Adelaide River. I am not 100% sure I agree with this practice, they say that they don't feed each animal enough to alter its natural hunting patterns, they also say that it only takes a chicken a week to sustain a croc. After feeding one particular animal another tourist asked how many pieces of meat that animal had got today? The answer was that that was the second piece. Hmm sounds like it would be enough to alter natural hunting to me!
Darwin 130.jpgDarwin 102.jpgDarwin 084.jpgDarwin 106.jpg

Out at the croc jumping they also have a White-bellied Sea Eagle that has learnt to take advantage of the free feed
Darwin 077.jpgDarwin 081.jpgDarwin 082.jpg

Some Magpie Geese getting down and dirty in a swamp near the Adelaide River
Darwin 063.jpgDarwin 058.jpg

Love the Territories use of humour to get a serious message across
Darwin 156.jpg

Entering Kakadu
Darwin 157.jpgDarwin 158.jpg

Some birds from South Alligator River: Magpie Geese, Little Corellas and Masked Lapwing race miles
Darwin 165.jpgDarwin 162.jpgDarwin 168.jpg

Mamukala Wetland: Crimson Finch (blurry but i was so excited to see them in the wild) and Agile Wallaby
Darwin 172.jpgDarwin 203.jpg

Climbing to Nawurlandja Lookout: Pandanus, Spinnifex, view of Nourlangie
Darwin 211.jpgDarwin 214.jpgDarwin 215.jpg

Yellow Waters around the camp grounds: Pied Heron, Bar-shouldered Dove and Amphibolurus sp?? I am going to need some help with this one (two pics)
Darwin 231.jpgDarwin 237.jpgDarwin 234.jpgDarwin 233.jpg

I am going to sign it off there for the moment in case it has taken me too long to upload the pics and it times out, fingers crossed it all works cause it has taken me ages!
More to come!

Looks like it worked! Ripper!
On with the show!

Yellow Waters Sunset Cruise:
Birds: Pied Stilt, Brolgas, Green Pygmy Geese (horrible to photograph), Jabiru and White-bellied Sea Eagle
Darwin 245.jpgDarwin 254.jpgDarwin 281.jpgDarwin 312.jpgDarwin 315.jpg

More Birds:Little Kingfisher, Comb-crested Jacana, Male Australian Darter, Female Australian Darter, Pied Stilt
Darwin 370.jpgDarwin 326.jpgDarwin 330.jpgDarwin 316.jpgDarwin 468.jpg

More Birds: Azure Kingfisher (x2)
Darwin 386.jpgDarwin 377.jpg

Crocodiles:
Darwin 390.jpgDarwin 292.jpgDarwin 271.jpgDarwin 455.jpg

More Crocs:
Darwin 517.jpgDarwin 520.jpg

Vegetation: Pandanus, Pandanus to the left with Arnhem Bamboo to the right, Lotus, Pandanus to the right, Paperbarks (Melaluca)
Darwin 350.jpgDarwin 349.jpgDarwin 269.jpgDarwin 266.jpgDarwin 366.jpg

Sunsets:
Darwin 514.jpgDarwin 502.jpgDarwin 523.jpgDarwin 529.jpgDarwin 531.jpg

And last but not least, this little critter was hanging out in the male amenities block at Yellow Water, awesome little Childrens Python:
Darwin 535.jpgDarwin 539.jpgDarwin 541.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Darwin 234.jpg
    Darwin 234.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Darwin 233.jpg
    Darwin 233.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Lovely shots! Wow, photos of both Little and Azure Kingfishers. They are both such beautiful birds. Kakadu is a great place and I would love to get back again. I imagine that your Amphibolurus would be gilberti but temporalis would be there as well.

Have you see Stewart's site on Aussie reptiles? I use it often since he also keeps up with the name changes that happen so often now. Here is the link to the Amphibolurus page:
AROD > Reptiles / Squamata / Agamidae / Amphibolurus | AROD.com.au

Regards,
David

Thanks David, I was very excited to see those two kingfishers, I was disappointed I didn't get a clear shot of the little though the light was fading and they were in over hanging growth making the lighting difficult.
I had narrowed it down to those two as well, was having trouble splitting them. Thanks I will check out Stewart's site.

Thanks Sandee, I had an amazing time and I am glad you enjoyed looking at my pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back