Dendrelaphis punctulata - Hard to keep?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

front0sa

Reaction score
Hey All, a new user here.

I've been considering getting some Common Green Tree snakes, and I'm curious as to how hard they are to keep. Having lived with someone who has snakes for quite some time I'm quite conscious of how to care for reptiles and would consider myself moderately skilled as I was maintaining them for about a month.

My main questions are...

1) Can they be fed pinkies? I've heard people say they got them feeding on pinkies, but I'm not sure the truth in it.
2) do they have any specific requirements in terms of enclosure space?
3) are they aggressive as a species or is it luck of the draw?
4) Anything I should know about them?

Any info would be fantastic

Thanks

Messy and flighty in a nutshell. :)

Hahaha, aint that the truth!

Im not 100% sure, maybe a QLDer can confirm or deny, but I dont think you can have one as yr first snake up there anyway, and with good reason IMO.

The chances of problems arising for an inexperienced keeper, ESPECIALLY if you get a youngin, are quite high.
IMO, you will more likely have a furfilling learning experience with a python. You can always work yr way up. :)

Thanks for the quick replies.

As I said, having been in a house with snakes and having looked after them a fair amount I have a pretty good knowledge of the care required for snakes. Again, thank you for the replies.

I don't keep them, so I can't really help with your questions. There are a few good threads on this site about what they require. Do a quick search and see if you can find them.

And also, BlindSnake, you're able to keep any non venomous snake (+ the brown tree snake) on the recreational licence. We don't have a system where you have to get one snake before another, etc., etc. (not sure on the venomous snake licence, though).

Hey All, a new user here.

I've been considering getting some Common Green Tree snakes, and I'm curious as to how hard they are to keep. Having lived with someone who has snakes for quite some time I'm quite conscious of how to care for reptiles and would consider myself moderately skilled as I was maintaining them for about a month.

My main questions are...

1) Can they be fed pinkies? I've heard people say they got them feeding on pinkies, but I'm not sure the truth in it. Yes they can usually(possibly always?) be fed pinkies, although it may take abit of work at the start.
2) do they have any specific requirements in terms of enclosure space? Some height is good and they will use as much space as you give them. Hatchlings are best kept in plastic tubs like other snakes.
3) are they aggressive as a species or is it luck of the draw? Mine seem to bite a bit, but it doesnt matter, they are something you keep to watch not play with. They will settle down though and most could probably tolerate a bit of handling, but its best avoided IMO.
4) Anything I should know about them? They are much more work than pythons but are also far more active and interesting to watch. They are also extremely fast and agile and are capable of escaping very quickly (they can almost jump) and can also hurt themselves thrashing around if you arnt holding them correctly. Definately not an ideal starting snake, but if its what you want there is no point getting something else.

Any info would be fantastic

Thanks

There are a few threads if you do a search, this thread has a few differant colour morphs in it.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes/pics-of-common-tree-snakes-please-50363

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back