Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been wondering about the usage of the name Green Tree Snake as opposed to Common Tree Snake. What exactly do the standard 'Green' Tree Snakes look like?

Recently, there have been Tree Snakes advertised as Blue Phase, which are very similar to mine - that is, olive backs with blue flecking, and yellow undersides (see photos). Note that the camera flash really brings out the blue colouration and probably leads to them being misleadingly referred to as Blue Phase. I think the 'true blues' are those that have white or pale-blue undersides (as per the recent "Electric !!!" thread from Indicus).

So the question is: what is a 'true green'? After all, where did these snakes get their name from? Is it just the combination of yellow and blue that gives the illusion of green? If anyone has any pictures of Green Phase Common Tree Snakes - preferably in captivity, but in the wild as well - could you please post them in this thread?

Thanks in advance,
Nic

Attachments

G'day mate,

A lot of people try and flog aqua coloured Green Tree Snakes as "Blue Phase"...kind of like people with poorly coloured Jungles try and tag them as "Black and Whites". In reality, your GTS is pretty typical of what you get here in SEQ.

Like a lot of snakes that have a colour or pattern in their common name (Green Tree Snake, Brown Tree Snake, Tiger Snake, Copperhead, Brown Snake etc), there are always exceptions to the rule. Unfortunately snakes don't seem to read the right books.

There is a thread on here called "electric" by Indicus. That is the perfect example of a Blue Phase.. check it out. You have a typical Green Tree Snake... and gorgeous I might add.

Here are a couple that are good examples of the common eastern colouration that i think got the "green" name. There are some that are much more green too, but i dont have any pics.

Attachments

• cts1.jpg
    cts1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 225
  • cts2.jpg
    cts2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 266
heres a blue common tree.

Attachments

• Johns blue tree snake.jpg
    Johns blue tree snake.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 489

Attachments

• GTS snakes 019.jpg
    GTS snakes 019.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 313
  • gts snakes 032.jpg
    gts snakes 032.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 275
  • GT snakes 029.jpg
    GT snakes 029.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 205
The real blue phases are pure blue, no flecking just like true blues pic. I'm pretty sure you can get a pure black phase also.;)

A 'true blue' from TrueBlue - how appropriate!!!

Lewy, the snake in those first three photos is what I imagine the offspring of a green/olive and a 'true blue' would look like. But who knows? No-one's done any research on it yet. Any post-grad students out there looking for a thesis topic ... ?

And a few other variants as well. But apart from Cris' two photos, there aren't any pics of 'true greens' yet. Anyone?

A 'true blue' from TrueBlue - how appropriate!!!

Lewy, the snake in those first three photos is what I imagine the offspring of a green/olive and a 'true blue' would look like. But who knows? No-one's done any research on it yet. Any post-grad students out there looking for a thesis topic ... ?

And a few other variants as well. But apart from Cris' two photos, there aren't any pics of 'true greens' yet. Anyone?

Yer i would say that's right

That's a mate of mine snake its a male so when i got mine we where hoping for a female but it dident work out that way, You dont suppose 2 males could breed do ya:rolleyes:;):lol:

Lewy

..kind of like people with poorly coloured Jungles try and tag them as "Black and Whites".

That would be "Honey jungles", Jonno. Black and whites are like the ones tremain breeds, they're actually white.... Then again, there is a grey area... or should I say, a dirty brown, not even honey area that are usually labelled Black and "white"...

:lol:

That would be "Honey jungles", Jonno. Black and whites are like the ones tremain breeds, they're actually white.... Then again, there is a grey area... or should I say, a dirty brown, not even honey area that are usually labelled Black and "white"...

:lol:

G'day mate,

Honey Jungles is a joke of a name too, but there aren't any high quality Honey Jungles to get them confused with. What I was eluding to is that there are several lines of high quality animals that people try and latch on to with poor quality animals to try and sell them for more money than they are worth.

Is your "Boy" the last photo on the right? It was awesome, i havent seen one round here b4, i thought that they would be there though, as i am not far from a creek.

I think the further the yellow continues down the belly, the more of a green impression that they give. My pair are only yellow for the first third of their body before it gradually changes into a pale blue.

Still no photos of 'true greens'. It's starting to seem like this particular common name is a misnoma ...

G'day mate,

Honey Jungles is a joke of a name too, but there aren't any high quality Honey Jungles to get them confused with. What I was eluding to is that there are several lines of high quality animals that people try and latch on to with poor quality animals to try and sell them for more money than they are worth.

I know mate. That's what I was saying too. I didn't word it very well though. Honey jungles are just the ones that don't colour up well. I've seen some very sketchy looking "julattens".

This is the best example that I've been able to find ...

But they seem few and far between. Common Tree Snake definitely appears to be a much better name.

Attachments

• GreenTreeSnake_01.jpg
    GreenTreeSnake_01.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 763
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back