do i need a licence??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just spoke to my mum to double check about the turtles and they are both infact murray river turtles which means i don't need a licence to get a
snake because i don't have any protected animals. i do understand when you say i should get a licence because i will end up buying another
snake within the next few months but unfortunatly thats not possible considering im a teenager living at home and i cant say my mum is over the moon
at the fact im getting a snake, so one snake will do for me... well at least until im old enough to get my own place. lol :)

Animallove you will be fine for now, I have a turtle, I have had Shinglebacks and have Blueys that are off licence so to speak because they are not required to be on there. One of my shinglebacks was because I brought it from a reptile shop and they asked for my permit so I figured I would keep it going. I have sold quite a few snakes to people who use the one per person per household idea however as stated it gets messy if you decide to breed or transfer over to one persons name because both need to buy permit.
Although, if two people in a house have a snake each and breed them, would not only the female snake owner need a permit to sell the hatchlings?
Btw always good to grab the sellers permit details anyway so you can provide it when and if you get a permit, helps department who do check up which is good.

So this whole 1 individual rule totally had me confused too but I'm now on track with the understanding... what I'd like to know is how SAussies go about purchasing from interstate... how do the sellers handle their movemnt advices?? Because we are required to advise EPA/NPWS or whoever a licence number.... OR is it sufficient to have the address in SA and that is all?? We won't get questioned about there being a lack of Licence details?

Can someone answer that question too please :)

If you explain to the interstate breeder that you are in SA, they generally know what to do, if they are unsure or unwilling to check with their local authority i'd find another breeder, OR you could email their local NPWS, you will still need an import permit, (Free in SA) and they will also need to provide an export permit. I've bought from Qld before and the breeder was brilliant,he knew what was needed, even though i didn't need a permit, i got one just so the whole process went smoother and there were no delays if there were questions asked at there end.
You can normally find what you want here in sa, and if you waith a few more months you'll see ads for hatchies popping up all over APS

Jaxrtfm I AM a breeder who's had a couple of enquiries from buyers in SA and I have never had dealings with exporting to SA so I was asking the question from a sellers point of view as I would like to help Animallove as much as possible!!
Without making a phone call to EPA I'd love to find out from other QLD breeders what they do.

Apologies Mrsherps77, your question sounded as if it were from a SA perspective,

I am in SA and my interstate seller didn't have a problem with no permit number, but with the time that you guys interstate have to wait for permit approvals, i didn't want to take the chance of delays, so i got a permit and provided it regardless of it not being required,

In SA we are lucky, we can walk into our NPWS and walk out with a permit, and my import license was ready in 4 hours,

with any luck a qld breeder will read this and give a Qld answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back