do you live in QLD and own a malamute?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geckodan is correct about the paralysis tick and the necessity to be vigilant BUT he has given INCORRECT advice about clipping them!!! As mentioned in above posts by myself and another as experienced Mal owners...It is NOT ever recommended to clip or shave unless MEDICALLY required and that goes for Huskies as well. Removing the insulating factor they need to regulate their body temperature is detrimental to the dog and should NOT be done...just to make it easier on the owner!!!!!!!

Siberian Huskies are also beautiful dogs...but MUST have a 6' high ESCAPE PROOF fence as they can climb extremely easily and it must be DIG PROOF as well. Fences MUST be checked every few days for any new holes made by the dog. They are notorious escape artists and born wanderers. They will run and keep running....they also have a high prey drive and will chase and kill small animals. If anyone needs a link with instructions and pictures on how to dig proof their fence easily, please contact me, Michele at Alaskan Malamute Rehoming Aid (AUST.) on facebook or email [email protected] and I will send it to you. So many Huskys are pts in pounds due to people buying as small cute puppies, once again, not researching the breed and they CONSTANTLY escape. It's so wrong!!

If you are going to live in a paralysis tick area (much of the Gold Coast is), prepare to clip them short from August to April or be willing to spend lots of tick paralysis prevention and maybe treatment as no prevention is 100%. Those double coats are hell to find ticks in.

Geckodan is correct about the paralysis tick and the necessity to be vigilant BUT he has given INCORRECT advice about clipping them!!! As mentioned in above posts by myself and another as experienced Mal owners...It is NOT ever recommended to clip or shave unless MEDICALLY required and that goes for Huskies as well. Removing the insulating factor they need to regulate their body temperature is detrimental to the dog and should NOT be done...just to make it easier on the owner!!!!!!!

Siberian Huskies are also beautiful dogs...but MUST have a 6' high ESCAPE PROOF fence as they can climb extremely easily and it must be DIG PROOF as well. Fences MUST be checked every few days for any new holes made by the dog. They are notorious escape artists and born wanderers. They will run and keep running....they also have a high prey drive and will chase and kill small animals. If anyone needs a link with instructions and pictures on how to dig proof their fence easily, please contact me, Michele at Alaskan Malamute Rehoming Aid (AUST.) on facebook or email [email protected] and I will send it to you. So many Huskys are pts in pounds due to people buying as small cute puppies, once again, not researching the breed and they CONSTANTLY escape. It's so wrong!!

When you see enough dead malamutes and sibes to fill a really big freezer because useless owners do a crap job of searching their ungroomed matted dogs and bring them in too late you would suggest otherwise.We see 40+ tick cases a week at our Emergency Centre at the moment, 1/2 of which could be avoided by clipping the dog (regardless of breed) at the start of tick season. Loss of hair is a small price to pay for early detection. This is South East Qld, not Tasmania or Darwin. They are no more or less affected by heat or cold than a shaved Chow Chow, Samoyed or even a persian cat (we had a dead on arrival tick affected cat tonight because they couldn't find the tick under all the matted hair). Give them shade when they are hot, give them a blanket when they are cold i.e. use common sense. Make it easy for the owner and dogs will stop dying. Make the job hard and it won't get done.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;WG1VGLpH90I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG1VGLpH90I[/video]

Just an idea for what you're in for. I believe Kristy recommended a brush... GET IT. :lol: (I'm well aware of the difference, but same kind of maintenance.)

Ive kept siberian huskies 4 about 13yrz now & haven't found a problem with them yet.The hair gets used up every time as my
canaries,zebra finches,& green singers go crazy with it in there nests.And after filling a few bags 4 my birds needs l just comb
my dogs down at the park so the wild birds get some 2 its not that bad.

I dont have a problem with ticks at the moment but bloody cane toads!!!!!!!! Just keep up with your monthly flea & tick treatment. Advantix is a bit expensive but works very well. Its not necessary to clip/shave a sibe/malamute. Alternatively u can also spray Permoxin on your dogs. Get the right tools for grooming & check your dogs daily during tick season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back