do you live in QLD and own a malamute?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh definatly do have to show them lol... They are sooo worth it if ur prepared and aware what ur in for ...

You won't be let down!!!

i havnt read all the posts here just skimed and most people have given you what you want i dont own a malamute but my parents own a husky and they have many of teh same traits you must be prepared to walk it for a good hr a day or they will go balistic after a few days of no exercise and are escape artists.

gardens ..... what gardens any garden you have in general will be turned into a half m ditch in the ground lol they love to dig maby if you train it to use the sand[it or something and enough exercise you will be ok my parrents made a vegie garden thats bout 1m off the ground.

as said above hair hair and more hair whatever you do try not to get a place with carpet make sure you have a very good vacume cleaner and brush it every chance you get especially at this time of yr when there malting.

must be supplyed with shade water ect (imo applys to all dogs) and you should be right dads husky is pretty stubborn however great with kids but can get to excited n barrol them over so supervision is definatly a must as a malamute is a good double teh size of a husky.

join a malamute society and get a sled for walking it there bread for pulling heavy loads it will do them good

just my 2c :)

just a trivial side note chicken google german shepards :D the white ones still have a reasonable amount of wolf in them and are the closest to the origanil ones bread. And yes huskys and malamutes are in no way related to wolves whotsoever i wanted a wolf hybrid few yrs ago n did a lil resurch lol

Last edited:
My sister-in-law has one here in QLD.. Hes a fantastic dog, he requires a lot of work but if you can put in the time its worth it.. Heres a pic of Grumbles the horse
grumbles.jpg

Why aren't there more pics in this thread.... Here's my mastiff x mal cross.... He is short haired, but as others have said, I still get a plastic bag of fur out of him EVERY DAY at the moment :shock:

He's got more of a mastiff look, but there's a mal down the park and when they stand next to each other, their markings are spot on for each other :D

DSC_21242.jpg

Ok well i better add some of my baby girl

first 2 was when she was 7 weeks

Attachments

• photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 54
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 64
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 56
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 56
  • panda3.jpg
    panda3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 57
Oh so cute :) I put accessories on Kaiser sometimes, too.... the best one was Indiana Jones hat!

gawd aint they all gorguz, so theyll be fine with the heat up there ay, just wanted to speak with a few people first see how theres was, thank you everyone love all the pics too :)

Alaskan Malamute information and rescue group.

There are many Alaskan Malamute owners in Queensland. If you are in Brisbane there is a fair number that meet every week. They have a social facebook group called Brisbane Malamute & Husky Owners.

Also...if anyone tell you you should clip or shave a Malamute or Husky...they are WRONG. It actually prevents the dog from cooling itself as the fur is insulating...keeps them warm in winter and cooler in summer. If shaved or clipped, they are at risk of sunburn and overheating. The most important thing is to groom them often, making sure all loose undercoat is removed, keep them in shaded areas with plenty of water, a pool or indoors on cold tiles if possible with airconditioner. Freezing bones or making large iceblocks out of stock or putting raw chicken necks in the water before freezing helps to keep cooler.

Anybody interested in either purchasing an Alaskan Malamute puppy would hopefully only purchase from an ethical breeder registered with each state's canine association and not just a backyard breeder or puppy farmer that only needs to register with their local council. Please never buy from a pet shop...the cruelty of where their stock almost alway comes from (puppy factories) is unbelievably inhumane in practically every puppy factory within Aust....or rescue an unwanted Malamute from a pound or shelter....where they can often be found as many people get them without doing extensive research on the breed first.

They are NOT like other dogs...rotties or GSD's at all. They are extremely intelligent dogs, easily trained if using motivational training BUT they are very independant and choose when they wish to obey or not...if the owner has not made his/her "alpha" status clear by gaining the respect of the dog by making him/her secure within their own place in the pack as they are very pack orientated and will vie for Alpha if their respect is not earned.. Force is definitely NEVER the way to do it but motivating them to want to obey is the only way to manage them.

They were originally bred to haul extremely heavy freighting sleds, so were born to pull. Most Malamutes will pull on lead and the more u pull them back, the harder they will pull...it's oppositional refllex from when they needed to pull extremely heavy freight. It takes consistency and good training to walk them on a loose lead. It IS possible to train an older Malamute who wasn't trained as a pup...it just needs a lot of strenth and consistency to stop, stand still until they slacken off the lead, praise as soon as they slacken and walk again saying heel. You may only get a few steps at a time but eventually...days or weeks, you'll have a dog who will not pull on a loose lead.

They also have a very high prey drive like Siberian Huskies, so should never be let off lead or left around small animals as they love to chase....do not make good farm dogs if u chickens as they would be considered lunch.

They are extremely friendly, human focussed dogs who love children and need to be involved with family life and activities as much as possible...much more than most dogs usually are and should anyway. They do not cope well if kept outside all the time, especially on their own..they need human interaction and if they don't get it or enough daily excercise or mental stimulation, they can destroy a yard easily or dig their way under a fence. They can't climb like a cat...the way Husky's are notorious for but they can jump under a 5' fence, so 6' is recommended. They are incredibly strong...so are not recommended to be walked by young people under 18....definitely not children.

They need at least one hour of brisk exercise every day, grooming at least 3x weekly or if a long-haired wooly, then brushed every day, as matting will occur in the undercoat and it's not a pretty sight when a dog has "hot spot" sores and infested with maggots through sheer neglect!!! If a malamute smells, it is due to their undercoat not being brushed out properly with a rake or slicker brush when it has shed and bacteria forms, otherwise they are fairly odourless. When washed, they need to be dried all over thoroughly due to "hot spots"...fungal infections occuring within hours.

Malamutes are different to Huskies. They are both very friendly to humans but Malamutes are generally not friendly to other dogs and should NEVER be housed with the same sex, especially females are they are very same sex aggressive. 2 malamute females will fight to the death. They love a good fight. Off lead dog parks are asking for major trouble.

However, I would like to address the comment made by chickensnake. They definitely do NOT become defensive and attack people or children when old!!!!! They are not known as aggressive to humans, except those who may have been abused in the past or if people are stupid enough to try and get in the middle of a dog fight.

The only reason I can attribute a vet stating this is any poor dog that did this was obviously in a lot of pain with arthritis and was defending itself when being touched in it's sore areas. Malamutes are extremely adept at hiding pain. They can be limping at home but when at the vets, they put on a brave face to prevent any weakness from showing to strangers. It's a survival instinct still in them...but they are no more related to wolves than a chiquahau...in fact they are considered closest to the "first dog" which was discovered recently and believed to be 30,000 years old. Their appearance and the husky is closest to the wolf due to the isolation they were in for thousands of years and not mixed with other breeds through time and didn't need to evolve differently physically.

If anybody is looking for a Mal...I and a few others run the only rescue group for Malamutes in Australia. We are currently looking for experienced Malamute owners or those who aren't but willing to do significant research FIRST, to become foster carers or adopt the Malamutes in need. Any state would be great but especially NSW and Victoria, where it has been almost impossible to find people able or willing.

You can find us on facebook. We are called Alaskan Malamute Rehoming Aid (AUST.)
and any questions about Mals...please feel free to ask questions. The more people who learn about and understand the breed, the less that will end up dumped in pounds and killed when people can't handle or be bothered with them.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...an-Malamute-Rehoming-Aid-AUST/114486931951035

Hopefully my attachment is available as well to view as it is a checklist we give all potential foster carers or adoptees to read before applying for a dog listed or registering as a future interested party.

Thanks for reading and please join our group and if you have any other Mally or Husky friends in Aust....please ask them to join as well...the more people we get, the greater exposure for the dogs and greater chance of saving them.

Regards, Michele

View attachment INTERESTED IN ADOPTING AN ALASKAN MALAMUTE - Alaskan Malamute Rehoming Aid (Aust.).doc
As long as the animal will have a decent shelter the heat shouldnt be a prob, we have a huge patio thing that the dogs spend most of their time under. That should be plenty of exercise, just make sure you get it use to a lead as a pup, because once they r a few months old they get very smart and like to resist the lead(if they havnt been taught as a pup pup) the last one we had was a "backyard dog" so to speak and never learnt how to walk on a lead or anything and was a good dog but bad on at the same time. One downside is when they get old(usally always) they become very defencive and will attack ppl (once they have started to go a lil blind) when ever they go near them, as they r so closly related to the wolf(we where told that from a very knowledgeable vet) and they have to be put down once they get to this stage otherwise somone may get very badly hurt. Our old one bit several ppl (including me) but not too bad and we ended up having him put down :( because of the risk of him mabey attacking the small children we always have at our hose from up the road

wow thanks for that michelle i would only buy from proper breeder in this case and for my rotties but will certainly keep you in mind when i move back home in a few months cause i would love another dog

You're welcome :). Just remember...research, research, research!! This is one of the BEST sites to learn from as well. It has EVERYTHING!! Very humorous as well. We are also linked in there on her newest page under the second one below..as she is one of my fb friends. Good luck and if u do go to Brisbane, you'll have a great time if you join the Mal & Sibe social group and they are very supportive as well. I live in Vic and wish we had the activities they do. There's also a lot of activities people can do with Mals...such as weightpull, lure coursing, sledding, scootering, hiking,...they are dogs for very active people and can go, go, go all day.

If you're on fb...join the group anyway and find out about them and meet other Mally people. I know friends in qld can guide you to ethical breeders who do all the right things and only breed to improve the standard of the breed...not for profit.

Cheers.

***** Living with an Alaskan Malamute as a housepet

******** O'Mal Alaskan Malamutes - Breeders of Show, Pet and housepet Alaskan Malamute dogs-

thanks a heap for that ill be within a 20min drive of brissy so its really close for me, thats why i thought i would start my reasearch before i got up there i was sure how they went with qld heat but with all the responses ive got they do just fine like any other plent of shade and water,

thanks for those links to :)

Hi jungle guy,

Im in Brisbane & have 2 mals. A wooly & a standard coat.My 2 handle the heat quite well. As a double-coated breed, they are able to regulate their own body temperature. If its too hot, they will sleep in the bath. If its too cold, they will lay down on the warm concrete.

Michele & myslf assists with the rescue group Alaskan Malamute Rehoming Aid Aus (AMRAA).Like she said, malamute are not to be clipped/shaved unless they have skin issues/infections.Many people ask how Twilight (wooly) cope with the heat and i said shes fine with it! I know of other owners who put clam-shell with water if the weather gets too warm or give them frozen ice-blocks with yummy treats in it, to keep cool & at the same time to entertain them when they are away at work.

They have to learn who is Boss, & to teach them NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free.If they want a treat, they have to work for it.U MUST be the Alpha & hes last in the pack-order.Make him sit before u give him his dinner. Sit before opening the door to go for walkies.If he behave, give him a treat. I always have a treat in handy. As & when i see a good behavior, my dog gets a treat. They are soo intelligent that if u dont 'teach' them, they will 'teach' u!

A group of us mal/sibe owners usually meet at the oxley dog park every sunday 4pm onwards,the park is along Boundary Rd (opp Acanthus St) & next to the Ipec Toll booth. We discuss about our dogs eg.food/nutrition,grooming,health issues,temperament. This is a giant playdate where u can see a pack of 20 sibes/mals running around doing zoomies with one another. Pls join us when ur back in QLD!

Our group Brisbane Mal/sibe owners (also in FB) organise social walks or beach trips once a month. Attach is a pic on one of our walks at SouthBank. Some pics of my 2mals & the dogs at oxley dog park.

Attachments

• DSCF6986.jpg
    DSCF6986.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 63375.jpg
    63375.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF7019.jpg
    DSCF7019.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 67323.jpg
    67323.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF7190.jpg
    DSCF7190.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 63
thanks heaps for that im so gratefull for everyones reply its great there gorguz mate absolute stunners, is it harder to find the the blue eyes in the mals ive only seen them in the siberians really but saying that i have not personally seen a lot of mals

Only siberians have blue eyes & can also come with bi-eyed (blue or brown on each eye).

Malamutes only come with brown eyes..If a malamute has blue eyes, most likely hes not purebred & is crossed with a sibe. So purebreds are the best! :))

Just to add:- For other mals/sibe owners in QLD, we are having a Santa Paws Walk this sat at Southbank.Meet at 2pm under the bridge of Kangaroo Pt Cliffs. Pls join us if u have nothing planned for the sat.. :)

oooh will have to let my dad know if he decides to call in sick sat lol he would love to go to something like that

If you are going to live in a paralysis tick area (much of the Gold Coast is), prepare to clip them short from August to April or be willing to spend lots of tick paralysis prevention and maybe treatment as no prevention is 100%. Those double coats are hell to find ticks in.

Madusa.jpgSlich.jpgMate what about a husky instead there not as big & have better looking eyes,yeah thay have the same hair problems but just take em 2 the park & brush em down as l do.The wild birds end up taking all the hair 4 there nests & it doesnt end up all over the backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back