Easy DIY Tubs for rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Please post your ideas on here - from budget works to professional finish. There was a thread somewhere I saw that someone cut a piece of bird wire the same size as the perimeter of the tub, cut a hole in the lid and just sat the lid over the mesh. No screws. Perhaps you can repost your thread here. I can't find where I saw it.

Mine are just as simple for the non-imaginative hands. Scared of power tools and saws? Then the only ingredients you need here is the tub with lid, soldering iron, bird wire, wire cutters and cable ties. I used 5mm gutter guard mesh, only because I already had it on hand so may as well use it up.

I melted the big hole out of the lid. It is no slower than using a hacksaw blade or knife. Then melted more holes around the edge for the cable ties to hold the mesh on. Couple more holes melted into the sides for a water bottle and join two cable ties together to hold the bottle up. Except I stuffed up with one of the short tubs (second picture), the bottle is too low and the shavings soaked up the water out of the bottle. But I have left the empty bottle there because now I worry the rat will make the hole bigger to get out. Herp Shop's bottles fit through the tiny mesh to sit on top.

I also want to add flyscreen which I will eventually add before summer returns, electrical tape holes that well. My hubby laughed and thinks its a funny way to go about it but I am no good with my hands, but this was very simple. If I can do it, anyone can, the rodents look good and secure.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 193
Looks good Kathy,with the one that the bottle is to low,just plug the hole and drill another hole up higher.I had the same problem with one of mine,so far the rats havent chewed on it....

I did think of that Mark but the tub isn't high enough to support bottles at the sides. The lid gets in the way. But I still gotta come and see what you've done with your bottles so I can copy an easier solution

Me and kazza on here are breeding mice and rats! i will get some pics of our set up this arvo once we finish building the other stand!

You can also just melt the mesh into the plastic lid with the soldering iron by pressing on the wire until it starts to sink into the plastic, rather than cable tying it

This is what I have. Pretty simple to make if you can use a jigsaw and cordless drill. And a little rack for them too.

Attachments

• ratcage1.jpg
    ratcage1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 153
  • ratcage3.jpg
    ratcage3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 159
I have discovered a problem with my tubs :( The rats are chewing through the plastic cable ties. If they chewed them all they'd soon escape. So might need to consider buying metal wire to twist around instead. Also, I put fly screen on all the tubs, next morning every tub had the flyscreen down and chewed up. Well that's easy fixed. Will put the screen on the outside, and there is a lip around the edge of the lid so it doesn't sit right down on the wire. So might hold better. Bloody rats! But have some good news though - all my tubs now have litters :D So it must be keeping them warmer and all started breeding again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back