Eggs At Last!, The fat or Gravid gecko~ Update!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Well she layed two nice big eggs today, shes still digging about in there though, so Im wondering if shes looking for them or theres a third egg?
Anyway, im stoked! :D

2121.jpg

2123.jpg

2124.jpg

Add: well no third, but 2 is the norm, and nice big eggs they are too.
Not sure if the egg from the other girl is good or not, its started to cave, been in the incubator for a month but i dont know when it was laid exactly.
Sadly I missed the girl above laying, but she was still squirming about, so it wasnt by long. :wink:

re Eggs

Thats good!! Shes placed you out of your misery mr instar :p Now its just battering the sav waiting for them to hatch,she can go eat a few crix and relax :lol:

Misery? lol, confusion yes!
looking forward to seeing my first live milii hatchys! very cool.

Note to newbys~ given the right conditions/diet, anything will breed itself,
there is nothing complicated about it!
dont let the 'experts' bluff you! :p
Its getting the conditions right that counts, so on that score, take their advice! :)

has she double clutched yet. my female is up to her 3 clutch should be any day now

re Eggs

And out of confusion a heavyweight of the gecko world was born, come in thow that appeareth bright like a star and there was much rejoicing and sucking up by newbies,"show us your trick master" "There be no trick thy newby sarason dogs!! as i commandeth though shalt happen and be" And so it was. :wink:

Not yet Tristis, not long dropped this first two, be nice if she did, but im not counting on it. :)

Zulu....wtf? Lol .....*backs slowly away.....:D

Incidently, does anyone know much about diplodactylus Pulcher? Its not listed on the species list unless its name/taxon has changed. Ive seen a pic of a patternless one from Brian bush's site. Wondering if anyone keeps them and or what class they are etc.
I expect GeckoDan might know?

No pulcher in the system. I had a collect permit for them about three years ago that coincided with the great pulcher drought of 2002.

'Heloooo Possum!" (aka Dame Edna :lol: )

She layed in moist peat moss Possum, but for incubating, just standard vermiculite. 1:1 is the oft touted mix, but I just add roughly that then squeeze the hell out of it till it forms a fist shaped ball, this get its about right, after that I just wipe any moisture buildup off the eggbox lid every few days.
This worked fine for four clutches of beardy eggs so expect it'll be ok for milii eggs too.

Update: one egg has caved below so its not looking good, this happened early on so i think its probly infertile. The other is holding up ok so far, and will be due to hatch around 15th dec give or take a few days. Fingers x'd!

:)

You may find gecko eggs a little less forgiving than beardies with the squeeze it and hope method. Stick with the 1:1 by weight or 1:10 by volume mix and you'll have less dramas. The issues usually arise when the egg starts to sweat at 24hrs before hatching and the poor little buggers drown in their eggs if they can't lose enough fluid.

Thanks for that info Dan, you learn new stuff everyday. :)
Mines a rather dryish mix though, since I mix n stir till it clumps, then do the sqeezing, after which its broken up nd airated till very loose before eggs are added. Im reasonably confident its not overly moist, eggboxs get only a fine mist buildup every 4 days or so and thats wiped off.
Neverthe less I will bare what you said in mind and if i think its not dry enough, ill make a fresh mix and transfer.

Q. in the wild are eggs layed in rock crevices, behind/under bark etc or do they always bury?
Im curious if they actively seek moist places to lay since my younger female chose the dryest area to lay in red sand, despite a moist box being available.
I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that eggs layed in dry substrate would simply dessicate? (dryup)

hey guys how much will these geckos cost ??????? if they are for sale??????
cheers kahn

Im curious if they actively seek moist places to lay since my younger female chose the dryest area to lay in red sand, despite a moist box being available.
I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that eggs layed in dry substrate would simply dessicate? (dryup)

They certainly will dry up into little white sultanas pretty quickly. Why some females choose crappy sites when surrounded by sites that I think are ok is a mystery to me. Some of the terrestrial Diplodactylus are shocking at doing this.

kahn_10 said:
hey guys how much will these geckos cost ??????? if they are for sale??????
cheers kahn

I never really thought about it khan, these particular ones wont be for sale, sadly one is definately infertile, if the other hatches its promised to a freind, but im not really happy with how that looks either at this point.
Gex, are not prolific having only two eggs a clutch, im not sure if they double clutch (though she is looking kind of bulky again).

Im thinking I should have left them in the box of peat she layed in (above) and just incubated in that without disturbing them. I was most careful, but thinking none the less ive done something wrong, (you live and learn)
certainly they appear to be more fragile than beardy eggs.

I would greatly appreciate a post from anyone who's successfully incubated milii, explaining your exact technique, medium, humidity temp etc etc.

I would greatly appreciate a post from anyone who's successfully incubated milii, explaining your exact technique, medium, humidity temp etc etc.

Steve Comber has a great care sheet on herpshop.
Otherwise I use small takeaway containers, vermiculite mix as above and a single 2mm hole in the lid. Your method of wiping off the condensation is not reccomended as you are removing a portion of the water and therefore changing substrate conditions every time you do it. I use clear containers and don't open them unless there is an egg growing hair or a baby running around. Stability of conditions is the key. I incubate milli at 28-29.

solitarydiver said:
G'Day Iam only learning about this stuff What is the NEST made of???

The stuff in the tub pictured is peatmoss mate. :)

Thanks for That Dan, Ill check out that caresheet. Im assuming you bury the eggs? so the moisture dosent drip on them??? :? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back