Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep all elapids you have listed apart from Dugites and Desert adders. They are all quite exept the Pilbra adder is a bit snappy. HOWEVER!! They require your 100% attention when they are being fed. The southern adders lay motionless until there rodents are offerd then release an explosive like strike that never ceases to amaze me. No second chances for complacency with these guys!

So what species do you think would be best to get as my first elapid? and what in general are there temperaments like???

Someone did pm me and say that RBBS would be good to start with, and i would love a couple...Unfortunately in WA we are not able to keep them...I posted a list in my 1st and another reply that has a list of the vens we are able to keep...

Are there any colubrids you can keep? they will give you a feel for the speed elapids can move but wont give you any long term or life threatening problems.

Are there any colubrids you can keep? they will give you a feel for the speed elapids can move but wont give you any long term or life threatening problems.

Nope...

They are all individuals. Mulga is fat and lazy does nothing but eat and poo,Gwardar is moody and easily excited when expecting a feed,Tiger is very layed back one day and cranky the next.
You get what I mean?? 100% attention,

Personally I'd start with adders as their venom is only neurotoxic (ie causing paralysis) and is not that rapid in onset as opposed to say browns who also have blood thinning and clotting toxins and others. The only species so far suspected of causing sudden death (within seconds) are the browns.

On the issue of first aid, two points to note -

1. the bandage is to be about as tight as you would put on a sprained ankle (do a first aid course if you don't know how tight this is)

2. The original research highlighted the importance of pressure IMMOBILISATION bandaging and most people including many health professionals forget the splinting part to immobilise.

Just do your research thoroughly to give yourself the best chance.

Last edited:
You could have a go at Tigers but i don't know if they will survive in Broome,they hate the heat.

If you get into Tigers,once they grow up good animals to have in captivity,but they have a bad rep one day they good the next bad, and being the fourth most dangerous you must take no chances,as with all elapids.

first aid co**** first before anything not just for the bite but for the rest like cpr and get someone that lives with you to do it aswell can never be to safe secondly do a ven snake handleing co**** so you know what your doing with the snakes just because you have the licence doesnt mean you know how to handle the herps good luck with it

my 1st elapid was an adder. i find them to be pretty good & very easy to deal with.

having said that, u dont really get the hands on handling experience with this sort of elapid.

so if ur looking to learn how to tail a ven etc, adders arent the right snake for this sorta thing.

im by no means saying adders as docile & "placid" vens.(even if they seem to be) if u get within the range, u will get done. n chances are they wont miss either. as long as ur not stupid with them, ur guna be relatively safe.

i chose them as my 1st ven coz at the time i wasnt ready to deal with sumthing that had more chances of shooting outa the tub as soon as i open the lid. (adders tend to just sit there in the 1 spot n not move much)

whatever u choose, be careful around them, dont be stupid & u will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back