Experience with Distance Uni Education?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vampstorso

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So,
I am a horribly indecisive person with my uni degree...well, in actual fact, I just can't do what I actually want, and unless I get accepted next year via transfer, I've decided perhaps distance education is the way for me. I'm a country kid with a passionate dislike for the city lol...can't imagine living here for another 4 years for a degree that isn't my dream.

So, unfortunately what I want to do (if I don't get accepted into my other course) isn't offered externally via SA uni's.
Which leaves me with the options of Charles Darwin Uni, and Curtin uni.

Has anyone had experience with this?
I'm not even remotely worried about self motivation and doing all the work on my own accord etc, so no need to discuss that :p
I was just more so wondering if the "service" has been good? is your degree respected? Personally, I can't see why it wouldn't be, but I do worry that they'll think "OH you only studied there because you couldn't get accepted anywhere else..." which isn't true at all :|
I don't personally feel Australia is competitive like that (unlike America), where a degree is a degree here; it isn't so relevant what uni gave it too you (but perhaps I'm naive).

Look forward too hearing from you!

Last edited:
I am doing it now and it is very easy to procrastinate. I have had to repeat some units. It depends what course you do as to how much help you get as well. Curtin Art dept. are a bit lenient but not much help for example. The degree is a degree like anywhere else but you do get the od snobs going "oh open uni, haha" My only complaint is the lack of variety. My son is doing open Uni in the UK and he can do just about anything you can think of.

Yeah I thought about the snobs...then I figured...I intend on working in the country...and they have trouble getting people haha

I honestly don't get the issue...open uni...same thing just you don't get lost going to class?! and you, if anything, have to work harder...as no one is bugging you in tuts to do your work etc :\

My course is mostly face-to-face but I do have a few online classes and even those can be a bit difficult to stay up to date with. There's nothing wrong career-wise doing an online degree, but keep in mind you'll have to be super organised as there's no set lecture/tute schedule, so it can be amazingly easy to put off this weeks study...for a month.
Are there any universities not in the city? I live in Melbourne, but am going to a uni in the outer suburbs which is quite bushy and nothing like the city at all. Could be worth looking into.
Just one more really important thing, make sure you don't settle. Choose something you really want to study and are passionate about, not something that looks like it's going to be easy or is easier to access. Have you considered moving interstate? It's not uncommon and gives you a wider variety of study options.
Best of luck though!

there is uni campus in the country...but it's still two hours away from where I wanna be living...
The reason it's so important too me to be in this particular town (and hence external study) is because my Grandmother has been unwell, and seems to be going downhill, and it stresses me out freakishly so. I also end up going back a lot to housesit as my Dad works away a lot. So the travel too-and-from there to the city in itself is so frustrating in order to keep everything functioning right (family and uni!)...so won't be moving interstate, but good suggestion :) (and goddd do I love Melbourne! is so much more chilled than every other city!)

Personally the set times I experience at uni put me off...e.g. sitting in tuts..where I learn absoloutly nothing, when I could actually be doing something! ahhh the hours of my life wasted listing to peoples stupid questions and what they think are profound deep thoughts!!
So I'm really not worried about being self motivated to do the work etc, infact I think it'll allow me to have more time to do my work better...but there's no denying I'll probably have one class I hate and neglect coz it's easy to do so lol (all part of being a teenager, right?!)

With not settling, this is the start of my third science degree (meaning I've STARTED three, not finished!), and I've decided If next year I'm not accepted as a transfer applicant, I'm giving up on the science side of life.
So the course I want to do isn't THE dream, but it is something I feel I'll be good at and enjoy.

ahhhh I hate this whole having to figure out your life thing haha...can't we just be born with microchips or something!

Sorry if I'm sounding unappreciative of any suggestions Stella; a bit tired so perhaps my typing isn't too good! but I really do appreciate all advice given :)

No, no offense taken at all! Just making sure you're aware of all your options. I'm in my third year of an Engineering degree, changing course (to Science) and uni because I didn't think things through well enough. Not a fun experience, I'll tell you!

If you're happy with online study and think that it will suit you and your current lifestyle then you should do it. Besides, you never know what will happen in a year or so; your Grandma will hopefully get better and you might want to consider a change of uni. But simply put, do what you're comfortable with now and what you think will work because you never know what opportunities might come in the future. Just make sure you're happy with it, can't stress this enough. If you're miserable (like I was) then what's the point of doing it? You're still a teenager so there's no real rush to get uni over and done with; there's always options of working, travelling, helping family and then returning as a mature age student.

Obviously I can't make any decisions for you but if you really want to study (and at home) I'd advise doing the online degree and see how that goes. If it doesn't work out for some reason or another then maybe take some time from study, come back to it after a year or so and then assess your lifestyle, needs, availabilities, options, etc. Like I said, you might find you are free to study interstate (come to Melbourne, we're cool!). And I totally know what you mean with regards people in lectures: there's a girl in my class nicknamed 'stupid question girl' and the whole class groans when she puts her hand up XD

Sorry about the long response, I just care very much about uni choices coz I've made some bad ones. Do you mind me asking what THE dream is and why you're not/can't pursue it?
Good luck dear!

dont forget OTEN and other universities offer long distance education also

you really need to have the fire in your belly to do the degree...it is hard as you dont have lectures to sit through...there is just you...the internet and books...

I have done a few distance education degrees......nobody cares how you do them....it is where they come from that is important....so pick the most impressive university you can to complete the degree by distance and you will be fine......

Im studying at Uni SA internally and really I think it is just as easy to do so from home (unless your course requires heaps of pracs) I mean Im maintaining a 4.0 gpa and I barley rock up to tutorials and lectures and think the external study is great. mind you im doing nursing which isnt all that hard ( well I think so anyway)

You still get the exact same lecture but as a podcast so you dont miss out on anything but pracs. Medical degrees would probably be a bit tougher. but tis all very manageable.

not to mention a forum board with a tutor, so you are in all essence sitting through a virtual tutorial.

LOL I was so shocking with turning up at unisa Alright Knight...I found it easier to get away with there than other uni's hahaha...I'm horrible.

I've decided to go for the external study, infact I'm quite excited now and already planning moving..which makes me even more excited.
I've also realized (when pointed out too me today), Im always up to date with my work...I just hate going and dealing with the people.

Yay for becoming a country bumpkin again! being able to cross the road!

It's almost made me not want to get into the degree I wanted (dental prosthetics), because I've got all this figured out.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and in-put. I'd been pondering it for awhile, but it's always easier and more calming when people can confirm your thoughts first.

I did my first degree by distance education. after failing 50% of subjects in the first year I put my head down and finally finished it. that was at a time just as the internet was becoming available to assignments were sent snail mail.

It has it's advantages as you can work full time but this has the obvious problem of needing to do your study at night or over the weekend. Mind you i did that anyway with my 2nd degree which was face to face part time.

It takes discipline but is a great way to do the course you really want. Mind you the thing I missed was not knowing anyone at graduation, if you go.

Good luck

It's almost made me not want to get into the degree I wanted (dental prosthetics), because I've got all this figured out.

Aha the key to your username :D Or the Beached As Cartoons.

Good luck in your endeavours you'll be fine ;)

Aha the key to your username :D Or the Beached As Cartoons.

Good luck in your endeavours you'll be fine ;)

Lol...my Dad and I throw Beaches Az quotes at each other all the time...we used to sit and wait for each new ep every week hahaha

aww thank you Brett :) always a sweetie!

Aha the key to your username.

I was wondering about that myself.

I've studied by distance before, for a year. I did find it a frustrating way to study, mostly because all I had time for was study and work. But it was practical to do it that way and cut out the rubbish you get with having to attend uni.

The course itself, an Editing and Publishing certificate through USQ, was really well run. Can't complain there. I didn't end up doing much with it so can't say if it was any more or less respected than any other course.

Good luck with your plans.

My problem with it is, you need the internet to study, but then you have the internet which is a huge distraction. But that is just me, easily distracted, haha.

You are so right, and since I discovered APS it's become worse. See, here I go again, wasting time on APS answering random posts!

I think I need two computers. One connected to the Internet, the other not.

My mum has done one degree via distance (UNE) and she is currently doing a second. She has done everything part time and she has a HD average. I am doing a double degree on campus and I currently have a Cr average. The distance thing works for mum, she is naturally a really smart person and has the motivation as she loves to learn. As for me, I find it hard enough to find the motivation to read a unit outline, I would get so lost in distance ed, there is no way I could do it for 4+ years. Let alone doing it part time... (Took mum 6 years to Bachelor of health science with honours part time, now she is doing teaching which will take her 4 years... stuff that!)

I did a unit which focused on distance ed vs on campus ed and concluded that distance ed makes students feel very isolated, however uni's such as UNE are taking steps to reduce this isolation. On Campus works for me as I find the contact with lecturers helpful, they know who I am, they know what works for me, they know commitments I have (single parent) when I apply for an extension for an assignment because my child is sick. I think it's hard to have things personalised as they are on campus when it's by distance. As well as that, I have made great friends and we generally help each other out as well as sharing information that one of us may have not received when talking to a lecturer. There is a chunk that gets lost when you do distance.

It just depends what works for you (and the course you are doing), I know for me, I need the face to face contact otherwise I wouldn't be able to learn a thing. (In saying that, after I graduate I am doing a masters which has the distance option, I will be doing the distance because if I don't work full time by then, I will probably end up on the street).

Good luck with your decision! If you choose distance and worse comes to worst, you can always decide to go on campus!

I find the contact with lecturers helpful, they know who I am, they know what works for me, they know commitments I have (single parent) when I apply for an extension for an assignment because my child is sick.

When I did my distance course we had a couple of people running the course who were the online equivalent of "approachable". They were very reasonable with extensions if you needed them. I think it depends on who's running the course.

The isolation is a bit harder to overcome. What kinds of things are UNE doing to improve that?

One of my lecturers was telling us that they are using online chat to discuss topics or even hold entire tuts via a chat room, live streaming of lectures/tuts with the option of students being able to text message the lecturer to ask questions... there were a few other things however I'm having trouble remembering them now.. Not sure if they have introduced them yet or not.

ETA:
I know my mum uses facebook to discuss things... there are groups set up by unit codes where students can post to, to ask questions, discuss assignments etc. Apparently it's very successfully... Maybe I should add that to the anti-facebook thread lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back