Explaination Please-Hypo's, Hets, Normal's etc etc :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I tried to explain it simply- sorry if I failed :)

There are multiple types of inheritence. the main one I explained, with albinos, is referred to mendelian inheritance or single gene inheritance... I'm not entirely sure on this as I haven't delved into the various Morelia sp. morphs, but I think striping and hypo phenotypes are polygenic- so to have a hypo looking animal they need a certain combination of alleles on different genes- so you can't exactly get a het for these. So to breed striped or hypo animals, you need to breed striped with striped/hypo with hypo i.e. line breeding to develop the striped appearance. If you breed say a normal to a hypo bredli, the offspring may carry SOME alleles on genes required for the hypo appearance, but other alleles will be from the normal parent, so the animal will look normal. IF you then bred that hatchling later to another hypo, you may get some hypo hatchlings, but the expected outcome can't be predicted, like with the Mendelian mode of inheritance..

Does this even make sense? :|

My eyes.... my eyes......
They had just stopped spinning and now you've done it again..... BBbbwwwwwwahhhhaaaaaaaa :shock:

I got it.... I got it..... no more...... hehehehehe

Very interesting tho ;)

I found this site to be a great resource for reptile genetics.
It steps you through some of the basic info right up to more complex situations.
I have read it so many times and I'm still yet to get my head around some of the latter information in genetics 501 and 601 :|
The Learning Center - Genetics 101

Kitah in Bredli's I believe Hyper is explainable as a single gene inheritance trait (even though it isn't truly). However it's not straight dominant recessive, it's closer to co-dominant.

Hypers have no black on them, normals have black edging on their entire body, and hets have black edging only on the front half of their body.

Of course it'd actually polygenetic and you can get tons of variation in that, but it still ends up roughly explainable under single gene heritance.

I think with GP's post its a case of substitute "hyper" for "hypo" ;)

See Kitah's smart. I wouldn't take my post as entirely accurate either maybe it's the front half of the body with no black edging... I remember talking to some guy at some expo about it and then trying to figure out the genetics of it before deciding it was a snake so I didn't care.

Anyway though it might help, to some degree you can visualize how the genes act in *hypomelanism* in Bredli's.

Awesome guys, love the information.

So bit of debate but what type is my Bredli...Is it a classic or do you reckon its the other one?

:)

Definitely a classic, though it depends what the term "classic" really means as classic, hypo and het colourations of M.spilota bredli occur in the wild and I don't know anyone has studied those colourations to say one is any more common than the other, or whether even it's actually locational.

Centralian carpet python (Morelia spilota bredli) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! A link showing a wild M.spilota bredli with reduced black pigment on the front half of it's body, which I have heard is a trait of heterozygosity for hypomelanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back