Exporting australian snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to make some things clear: I am studying here in Australia and almost nobody knows where he ends up after that (especially not in the mining industry). So it was a reasonable question if I can keep the pet I love after that (considering that a snake could be with me half my life).
I am not interested in illegal trading or even breeding of my animal :)
Could someone give me the official site dealing with these things? Couldn't find it...
EDIT: by the way, how do you smuggle a 2.5 m temperature sensitive animal :p I am pretty sure it doesn't fit in someones pocket.

Frankly, it's not even worth your following it up - you will be told a flat 'NO' by the bureaucrats, whether it's a loved pet or not. There are a few species of birds which may be exported with their owners if they are moving overseas PERMANENTLY, and this list will be available to enquirers, but it's only a handful of species, and only one bird, and you must demonstrate ownership over a long period of time. The same facility is not available for reptiles held as pets.

Jamie

It needs to change. The situation currently as it stands is really quite ridiculous.

As for imports, that is a different matter - see my other post on exotics in the exotics forum.

Ben

what is ridiculous? i think if we could export we would be looking at far greater problems than "i miss my snake".

It is possible to export reptiles as long as you are a commercial venture. I was involved with exporting 4 species of elapids to Russia about 5 years ago from a privately owned commercial (non-zoo) facility. In the pet trade, it would be all but impossible (although, that does depend on just how resilient you are to cutting through red tape - where there's a will, there's a way...but generally it involved money).

Frankly, it's not even worth your following it up - you will be told a flat 'NO' by the bureaucrats, whether it's a loved pet or not. There are a few species of birds which may be exported with their owners if they are moving overseas PERMANENTLY, and this list will be available to enquirers, but it's only a handful of species, and only one bird, and you must demonstrate ownership over a long period of time. The same facility is not available for reptiles held as pets.

Jamie

The legislation you are talking about actually mentions pets in general. The specific list of animals that you are allowed to take happens to only have a few species of birds on it at the moment.

I am sure that in an election year, with enough people clamouring to the right ears, getting one or more species of reptile on there would be possible. (If it werent, the bird hobbiests would not have been able to get their birds on it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back