first dslr shots

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richoman_3

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
went out today to get my first herp shots with my new camera :D
just got a canon 60D with the standard 18-55mm lense.

yeah so here some banjo frogs pics, the first 20 photos i took of them were pitch black LOL

let me know whats your best :)

IMG_0325k.jpg

IMG_0324d.jpg

IMG_0323f.jpg

IMG_0321s.jpg

IMG_0318m.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

Kangarararoo

IMG_0315.jpg

Jacky dragon - they blend in so well !

IMG_0332g.jpg

great sharp shots, and dof is good too. I like the first and second ones the most.

Well I will be the critique, the dof is slightly out could have done with an extra stop unless you meant to get half the frog out of focus lol..not bad though mate. Cheers Joe

The dragon is my fav sharp alway through the shot. Joe

Great Shots, We just broght the Canon 600D... Such a great Camera.. Am Im stocked with the Quality of Photos.

Well I will be the critique, the dof is slightly out could have done with an extra stop unless you meant to get half the frog out of focus lol..not bad though mate. Cheers Joe

The dragon is my fav sharp alway through the shot. Joe

what do you mean by an extra stop?, yeah i sorta wanted the eyes and head to be more in focus than the body, but the body more in focus than the background if you know what i mean lol.
yeah i like the jacky pic.

Noice very noice well done betcha happy with those results. Wanna swap with mine? it's an awesome camera that teaches you how to take images with only natural or ambient light an amazing piece of kit.

Great shots mate :) Love the first shot, the frog definitely stands out on that background! Nice sharp shot, too :)
Can't wait to see some of your future shots!

1 of mine from another thread i started, canon eos 550d, same lens as the OP, standard issue 18-55mm. cant wait to learn how to use this thing properly....and get some more lenses for it
View attachment 231506

The f-stop is your aperture opening if you go into the properties of one of your pics you should be able to find it.

A low f-stop number and being too close to the subject will give you a shallow depth of field. A higher number will give you better depth of field.
However the size of the aperture opening also helps determine the amount of light reaching the image sensor through your lens.
A small f-stop number eg: 5.6 is a wide aperture opening while a higher number results in a smaller aperture (less light)
This can be hard to get your head around. big number= small aperture, less light but greater depth of field. Small number= large aperture, more light but shallow depth of field.

Particularly with your kit lens it's tempting to get too close to the subject which also effects depth of field, try a bit more distance and crop the shot in later.

Good start anyway the pics are nice. There is heaps of tutorials online for free and just use it as much as possible and you will pick up more and more. Half the fun of DSLR photography is learning.

thanks all :D

cheers elapidae!, ive heard about it before but tbh i dont really understand it :S

what do you mean by an extra stop?, yeah i sorta wanted the eyes and head to be more in focus than the body, but the body more in focus than the background if you know what i mean lol.
yeah i like the jacky pic.
If you had the Aperture say on f5.6 try putting it on f8, more of the shot will be sharp..Just play about with the setting because your on the right lines anyway..Good luck and enjoy your new Camera..One more tip keep your camera on aperture priority for much of your shots, after all snakes don't move fast so speed is no problem. Regards Joe

Great pics mate! What sort of rig are you using?

Nice shots Nick, and they'll only get better the more you use it. Practice is key. I just got a 60D a few days ago with the 18-135 + 90mm Tamron and am loving it.

It's important that you learn all you can about the aperture, ISO and shutter speed relationship.

When you get some time YouTube 'snapfactory' - he explains that and a lot more in his Photography 1 on 1 clips.

Also search the web and read up on it as well as other tips, tricks etc.

Look forward to seeing more pics mate.

Here's a couple of snaps from Featherdale:

lacie.jpg

lacie1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back