First lizrd. Adult Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MurkyMick

Reaction score
Hi, so today I was lucky enough to purchase my first pet lizard. It's proximately 2 years old and I am unsure of the sex. I think I can find out, but I want to leave it settle in for awhile before I handle it too much.

I got the lizard and a 60x60x60ish enclosure for $250 from a family who can no longer care for the lizard. Just have a few quick questions. The previous owners only had a fluorescent tube lighting in the enclosure as the other two bulbs had blown. I have no idea how long it has been like this and how much of an issue it is but I don't think it's anywhere near warm enough, I'll be purchasing some additional lights and a heat pad asap. But being winter I'm pretty sure Lizards go into a semi hibernation of sorts, so do I need to adjust the temperature to allow for this?

Also, anything i can do to ensure the lizard gets settled in over the next day or two? Especially whilst I do some additional reading and get everything sorted, like a woodie colony. I'm in the process of trying to find some woodies/crickets locally as unfortunately we don't have a pet store where I live. I'm going to be buying some in bulk online hopefully, but would some fresh veggies and pellets be enough whilst they come in? The original owners said they mostly fed him pellets, which they gave me a bag of.

Really am quite stoked about my new pet. I probably sound like a 12 year old :p

Welcome to APS mate.

First things first, start looking for a bigger enclosure, 60x60x60 is too small for an adult beardy. Along with that, plan to get and setup a UV10+ globe/tube for UV requirements and also get a downlighting/spotlight setup for a basking spot with temps 37-40 degrees (open to debate).

Fresh veges should always be your first choice over the pellets for obvious reasons and when buying bulk woodies etc, make sure you get calcium powder to go along with them.

Good luck

Cheers mate. Gonna head down to the hardware store and see what they have in the way of lights in a few. Should be able to pick up something in the way of a basking light without much difficulty. i'll make a trip to another town to pick up a specialty light with the uv10+ thingo as soon as possible. In the meantime, I think I can sit him in a slightly smaller tank out in the sun when its warm enough so he gets all the goodies from natural light.

I've put in some grated carrot (small pieces) a few peas and corn and a chunk of brocolli in there for him. He hasn't touched it yet, so how long should I leave it in there before throwing out? Just trying to get everything sorted and comfortable for the little bloke after the trip home. I know some animals don't like changes in surroundings, but I'm unsure of what a lizards like in these circumstances.

It might take a few days or a week to settle in before it gets a real appetite back. Offer fresh greens every day. Outdoor sunning is good but make sure there is adequate shade as well.

There is an abundant amount of information on the ABDF "australian bearded dragon forum" & some really helpful people... Check it out... You will also be able to get some contacts for live food distributors...

There are some very experienced keepers & breeders on that site... Good luck ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back