Fish for outdoor pool

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll need a seriously bloody good filter and aeration system for that lot.. and water treatment too because waste and algae levels will build up like crazy! Make sure you think about all that first - can't just buy fish and plonk them in!

go with barramundi, awesome to watch while feeding. great taste in them also and are relativley cheap

You'll need a seriously bloody good filter and aeration system for that lot.. and water treatment too because waste and algae levels will build up like crazy! Make sure you think about all that first - can't just buy fish and plonk them in!

The solution to pollution is dilution... and there is a lot of dilution in 30,000 litres!

Thanks guys for all the replies and yes the algae will be a big problem...I do have a pool filter big (sand filter) enough but I don't think its suitable for fish. I obviously don't afford to heat something that size lol.. I have got some goldfish in it now I'll try and have a look around for some native fish nearby....although I don;t really know this area. There is carp in a creek nearby but I think it's illegal to keep them (alive). I will try and buy some water snails to keep the algae down and would anyone recommend yabbies? I found some online aquarium shops but I'm not sure I'd take the risk ordering live fish online. Anyone recommend any water plants to help with breaking down the wastes? I'll take a few pics and post them. Although I would like a reef and bull sharks I can't really afford them lol :lol:

Thanks for everything
-Will

Will try www.cheapaquarium.com.au, they're at Blacktown and have a huge range of fish and good people to talk to about whats possible.
I'd definitely stick to natives if possible, yellowbelly, bass,silver or golden perch, they would put up with temp changes better I think. I use to have a barramundi that grew to 2 feet in its first year, had to sell it because only had a 3 foot tank, He was so aggressive, and would eat anything that touched his water. I also know of people that have kept salmonoids in a small backyard pool with success. Rainbow and brown trout, you could even try Atlantic salmon. Fish for dinner.
Your biggest problem will be excees food that fall to the bottom and will decay and spoil your water, which could result in a lot of work.
If only I had your problem, hope this has helped, good luck and keep us informed of how you go.

well to get the bottom crap fixed this is all you need. a few catfish! catfish are ground suckers and will eat up crap from the ground while you can have a few other native fish like the silver perch,golden or jade perch.

Thanks for all your replies! Bongie I'll check out that shop today or tomorrow!:D Also do you think barramundi could cope with outdoor temps here in sydney?

Your pond going green is ok! This means that the chlorine is getting low!

Here's a link for another pool to pond
http://www.abc.net.au/creaturefeatures/facts/ep3_petfacts.htm

Another heating idea is getting the pipes that go on your roof and they heat up and then the water passes through and the water warms up.

We have it for our pool and it can get up to 28c if its a hot day. Go to a pool shop and ask about it.

Daniel

Yes mate check them out they stock a huge range of fresh and saltwater fish. And I hope you do end up being able to keep barramundi in your pool. Cos after a year or so you'll see them swallow any rodents faster that any snakes you know. Mine use to put away a 6 inch feeder goldfish in less than 2 seconds after placing in tank....hehehehe..

St Marys Pet Cetre sell natives, they are really helpful and know what they are talking about aswell. good clean tanks aswell.
Koi (not native obviously) would thrive in that water! id run the filter as normal and possible put some bio media in it to help remove ammonia. having said that, the pool is so large it would take a long time for the water to get toxic levels to build up.
could always plumb a very large UV sterilizer into the filter system... that would help kep it clear of algea.

Thanks for all your replies (even the bullshark ones :) ), Jason I don't think i'll risk opening the sand filter however I have a large spare pump which I can use for a second filter. I maybe can make this filter with the bio media you mentioned and pass the water through that as well but it will take time to build. Hopefully I'll get dad to help...

-Will

you can use that pump and make a drum filter. essentially you just pump the water into the top of a large drum/barrel, the water 'falls' through a couple of sponges then through bio media etc and finally just run sout the bottem of the drum back into the pool... works just as good if not better then a several hundred dollar canister filter. having the drm sitting in the sun with a few metters of hose running to it will also help increase the temperature of the water a couple of degrees. essentially making advantage of your very own solar heating drum/canister filter.

It's a very good and cost-effective idea!! I'l just have to 'borrow' the pump for the jacuzzi - no one uses it anyways!:D:D I would only need to buy or maybe find a plastic drum ,some fitting and the filtering material!

EDIT: Could i just pass the water coming out from sand filter into the other filter rather than use a seperate pump?

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back