Flex Watt Heat Tape

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the one that the Herp Shop stocks? www.herpshop.com.au

'MULTI-HEAT' FLEXIBLE HEATING ELEMENT[SIZE=-1]**[/SIZE]​

Available in a variety of sizes and watt densities to heat cage floors, shelves etc. on which cages/plastic containers etc. are to be placed.

Like the above heat mats, it is necessary to control the first two with a probe thermostat and/or rheostat and advisable, for accuracy, for the lower wattage element (ELE035S2-330) as well.
[SIZE=-1](**Note: this heating element are not designed to be used in direct contact with metal.)[/SIZE]​

ELE07S2-330 330mm wide 70 watts per metre
$35.00/m
ELE035S2-330 330mm wide 35 watts per metre
$35.00/m

No, it's a different brand. Thanks anyway Ouzo.

A mate has asked me to track down some Flex Watt heat tape, as it comes in different widths.

It doesn't matter what brand actually, as long as it's available in narrower widths than 330 mm.

Last edited by a moderator:

A mate has asked me to track down some Flex Watt heat tape, as it comes in different widths.

It doesn't matter what brand actually, as long as it's available in narrower widths than 330 mm

It doesn't matter what brand actually, as long as it's available in narrower widths than 330 mm.

Can Flexwatt be used with our electric service in OZ? I know they use Flexwatt a lot in the USA but their electric service is different from Australia's.

Consider this, America uses 110V for mains power, Australia uses 240V. There is a risk in using something insulated for 110V on 240V as it may short out through the insulation.

Now consider that Electrical Power = Voltage squared divided by resistance, given the voltage difference the electrical power consumed at 240V is nearly 5 times that consumed at 110V. This would mean that the heat tape would be substantially hotter then its designed rating.

You could set them up in series which would result in only 120V or 80V across the tape (depending on whether you use 2 or 3).

Consider this, America uses 110V for mains power, Australia uses 240V. There is a risk in using something insulated for 110V on 240V as it may short out through the insulation.

Now consider that Electrical Power = Voltage squared divided by resistance, given the voltage difference the electrical power consumed at 240V is nearly 5 times that consumed at 110V. This would mean that the heat tape would be substantially hotter then its designed rating.

You could set them up in series which would result in only 120V or 80V across the tape (depending on whether you use 2 or 3).

Thanks, Chimera, I suspected that would be the case. I see at the Herp Shop that a similar product 33 cm wide, is sold by the meter.

Setting up two lengths in series is a good idea also. This brings up the issue of controllers for the heat tape. I prefer proportional controllers. Years ago, when the Micro Climate controllers first came out (They were made in England back then I dont know if they are still) we had a lot of trouble with these failing when I used them on a project while working in the USA. I'm gathering that the quality these days is no longer an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back