Gecko keeps digging holes and getting trapped

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divan

Reaction score
Hey my geckos have been digging heaps over the last week, i dont know what it is, I dont mind them digging but im scared that the whole will callapse on them.
That is what happend this morning, i couldnt find my gecko and then i looked around the side of the container and saw him in a cave but there was no exit soo i had to dig him out.

I also wanted to know that if the do get trapped in there caves is it possible for them to get themselfs out? I mean what were they gonna do in the wild, its not like someone can dig them out all the time.
Oh and I know people are gonna tell me to wet the soil and i do, i do it every second day.

Thanx any comments will be apreciated.

gecks

Never kept Gecko's but a mate of mine has and they did all the time. It's what they do. Pretty sure they will dig themselves out when they want to.

Are they in a high traffic area? They might be trying to get out of the way.

yer nah i know they do this all the time, hahaha nah there is not to much trafic in the cage i mean there are two geckos in the cage together, nothing else.

if it had only started doing it i would say that it was pregnnant. but seeing as its been doing it for ages might just wanna hide

They will happily dig themselves holes and then during the day they will block up the entrance/exit with sand, sealing themselves inside their burrow. this is what they do in the wild..... they are not getting ''stuck'' or burried alive. What sex are they too? The females dig alot more just before laying eggs. Mine laid 2 more eggs yesterday!

Traffic

yer nah i know they do this all the time, hahaha nah there is not to much trafic in the cage i mean there are two geckos in the cage together, nothing else.

I'll say it again so you can understand.

When I say traffic I do not mean in the cage, I mean in the room that the tank is in:rolleyes:.

If it is sitting in the loungeroom etc where people are coming and going it might be trying to get out of the way. Pretty much the same way as snakes will try and get out of the way by staying in hides etc.

I'll say it again so you can understand.

When I say traffic I do not mean in the cage, I mean in the room that the tank is in:rolleyes:.

If it is sitting in the loungeroom etc where people are coming and going it might be trying to get out of the way. Pretty much the same way as snakes will try and get out of the way by staying in hides etc.

Oh hahaha i understand now, lol i feel so stupid, and noo there isnt much activity in the room, its my bedroom and i only go in there to sleep or to get changed sooo yer its not that much.

It is the female doing all the digging but she cant be pregnant cause she is only 4 months old, and i havnt seen the male mating with her yet, but i guess she is just doing it to hide.

I shouldnt be worried about them getting stuck should i?

anyone else have any help or comments that could give me tips or information?

N. levis are a burrowing gecko species that naturally live in deep burrows underground, they are very good at diigging and will have no problems digging themselves out. Do not keep anything heavy in the enclosure that they can dig under and crush themselves. You need to set them up so they can dig to some extent but not dig into a cold area as they may not resurface to eat ( much in the same way as a juvie pythons will brumate in a large enclosure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back