Great Danes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melluvssnakes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking at getting a Great Dane puppy. Wanting to know if anyone has got any stories or pics they would like to share. Or if you know anyone who's got pups for sale (that are reasonably priced!)

Thanks,

Melissa

Hey Mel,
I've got a 4 yo Dane x Mastiff, Annie. She's the biggest sook you've ever come across. She gets on well with our 3 cats, she actually thought she was a cat at one stage, I found her on the house roof one night galloping around with one of her cat mates. She loves our silky terrier too, they're best friends, it's funny to watch. She's a very good guard dog though, if anyone enters the yard who she doesn't know she's got a good bark to let us know. It keeps the thieves & scoundrels away. She is also very protective of our 12 yo son, so much so that we have to chain her up if he has friends around playing.

I just wanted to add, I would be looking at getting one from a registered breeder as they do all the health testing required and usually come with full support over the lifetime of the dog. Dane's are very susceptible to a few health problems, with their bones, heart, hip dysplasia etc, so buying from a breeder will definately put you more at ease as as the sire and dam would have been health tested.

They can also guide you as to the correct feeding of a growing puppy, giant breeds require special care here as too much, or the wrong sort of food can give them very unhealthy growth spurts which can lead to all sorts of trouble.

It may be a little more expensive than buying from a backyard breeder, but you always get what you pay for.. I have no support for BYB at all.

we have had 3 danes in the past all from quintessa stud near laidley. they have a website with some good info and links to check out.

they are fantastic dogs and when the time comes for another dog it will definitely be another dane. definitely would be going through a registered breeder that has a good history with their breeders and pups, as vixen said they are prone to hip issues. Also make sure you read up on their feeding regime and recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back