Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oreo1

Reaction score
i know this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but where are gree tree pythons most commonly found? reaosn i ask is my cousin who lives in Brisbane has told me he has seen a gtp inhabiting the area around his home. said it was almost 2m in length and had all the noticable characteristics of a gtp. (heat pits and thick body unlike the gts) just wondering if they are natural to this area as it sounded peculiar to me, but then again i dont know much about this species..;) thanx

Your cousin would of mistakend it for a GTS (Green tree snake) or a BTS (brown tree snake.
GTPs are only found in the Iron Range NP FNQLD past Cooktown and grow to around 1.5m and GTS grow to around 1.6 and BTS grow to around 2m

Last edited:
i am by fair no gtp expert but i belive they are alot futher north than brissy correct me if a am wrong

They are found about a 7 hour drive north of Cairns.

So a little bit far to see one in your back yard.

Gtp's in brisbane

tell-em they' re dream-in.....solar 17 [baden]

hahaha Solar, reminds me of the movie the castle.

My cousin owned a house in Plainlands, that had a landscaped forest type thing around his house, he caught one years ago, I made him release it. It was quite big, beautiful specimen. I wouldn't expect them to be this far south either, maybe it was an escaped pet.
I wasn't a keeper at the time and wasn't aware that GTP is not native to the area or I would have contacted the EPA, I
I've always been interested in pythons so I know for certain it was a GTP.

And yes, I'm aware that sounds like a load of crap, but it was a GTP.

A few friends aound the area say they have GTP around their house but I think they're seeing GTS.

hmmm..u never know..i heard of a person that found a green Iguanas up by the sunshine coast!!!...also i have a mate that lives out north of brisbane in a suburb called Joiner (how ever u spell it) he claims he has a large carpet python size olvie green python living on his land in a roof of the guest house!!..now i have gotten him to explain to me what it looks like! i whent there once but neevr seen it,he says "hes not stupid he knows what a carpet python looks like and its a green carpet python..but he says its like a dull olvie green....so i thought maybe a escapee olvie python,not a green carpet..but..hmm not sure tho! still havnt seen it for my own eyes! but he's not the type of person to make stuff up and says it still lives there!

Hahahahaha the stories you hear I too have a mate that tells me there are a pair of GTP's living up at the summerset dam, people just believe what they want to believe. Me I think hes sorrily mistaken but hay I still can't convince him

I'm sure Jonno ARD will have a few storeys like this

Lewy

i dont think what my mate said,describes a green tree python at all...if anything its an escapee olive python..or maybe even a dull green paternless carpet python,ahahaha...but yer i know my mate and i'll take hsi word for it,defintly not a green tree python livivng in a roof tho,ahaha....i dunno if people r finding exotcis here in a place they shouldnt really be found,then how come its impossible for a native to be found sumwhere where they anrt normally found...

apparently they are at springbrook too. there is a rangers information hut on one of the walks up there that says they were once native to the area. have heard so many stories of them being seen, i'll be buggered if i can find one there. oh and then there is the albino macs that are up there too.

i'm sure any pet gtps lost in se qld that may be stumbled across in someones backyard would be quickly put back into captivity.

apparently they are at springbrook too. there is a rangers information hut on one of the walks up there that says they were once native to the area. have heard so many stories of them being seen, i'll be buggered if i can find one there. oh and then there is the albino macs that are up there too.

i'm sure any pet gtps lost in se qld that may be stumbled across in someones backyard would be quickly put back into captivity.

olives or green tree pythons once native to springbrook?

Hmm some of the stories have quite bad endings. I've had relatives who have had me identify a juvenile so-called "RBBS" they had shovelled, only to find the poor little fella was a three toed skink :( I know it is there rangeland and all but people really jump to conclusions way too quickly! A lot of "heroic" spider stories too where garden orb weaving spiders have been sprayed, mistaken for funnel webs (even tho they are nothing alike!).

Well now its not completely impossiable as fay has stated it could be a escapee

Tony harrison on the gold coast has caught an 11 foot olive python in someones back yard before...

Another snake catcher in wynnum was called out to a NT water python.

SO its not completly bull **** factor....

hell there is even a chance it could be a emerald tree boa.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back