Heating for a Jungle Python Hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james5665

Reaction score
So i am soon to be first time python owner and i am getting myself a Jungle Python Hatchling in the next few weeks and was just planning on housing it in a large click clack. What i want to know is will a heat cord/heat mat be sufficient heating for the next several months whilst i set up a proper viv? will the hatchling suffer without basking lighting??? I live in Brisbane so it is generally rather warm. I do plan on having a light in my viv and testing the temperatures in both the viv and the clickclack before i get the python to make sure they are inhabitable. Since i am buying a hatchling, i figured a click clack tub set up would be alright for a while, as this is what everything i have read leads to believe, but please correct me if i am wrong!! if this sounds alright, should i go for cord or a mat? i understand that cord is very versatile and can be used in a lot of different ways but i keep finding horror stories about it cracking glass tanks and melting plastic tanks! also i have read that the habistat thermostats are quite good, is this true?
SO MANY QUESTIONS
but i figure it is better to know now rather than later :)

Heating via cord/matt is fine. Cords are great if you have multiple click clacks to heat, however if it is only the one small tub a small heat matt may be more suitable.

Interesting that you ask about spotted python hatchling temperament and then go for a jungle python.

I'd be interested in these heat cord horror stories, because I've yet to find any :) There are definitely plenty of stories about mats, however.

Baby pythons will certainly be happy in a click clack with a heat cord, and can be heated solely with a heat cord their entire lives without issues. I don't use thermostats with my cords, but yes, the habistat thermostats are good. I'd recommend getting a dimming thermostat so you could use it with lights if you ever use them also. The on/off style thermostats work with lights, of course, however the dimming kind just extend the life of your globes so you're not buying them as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back