help id lizards from Victoria

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Last Christmas, I spent a few days with relatives in Melbourne. While there, my son and I made a quick trip up to the Lake Mountain area to look for reptiles. I found a couple species of skinks but I am not certain of their identity. Does anyone recognize these?

This small skink was common in disturbed areas. It was colonial and often seen on burned logs or on rocks. I suspect that it is Niveoscincus coventry but am not certain. Ideas?
skink1a.jpg

skink2.jpg

skink4.jpg

skink10.jpg

Are these Southern Water Skinks (Eulamprus tympanum)? They certainly look different to E. quoyii and E. heatwolei that I see in Wollongong and in the Blue Mountains.
waterskink3.jpg

waterskink1.jpg

waterskink4.jpg

Here is the habitat:
habitat1.jpg

A native violet, maybe Viola hederacea
flower1.jpg

A huge Trigger Plant, maybe Stylidium graminifolium?
styllidium1.jpg

The top for are L. guichenoti (common garden skinks) an the bottom three are E. quoyii

definatly not.

Moloch the top do look like Niveoscincus coventry and the Eulamprus also sounds right, looks like tympanum to me. Does the stylidium have long grass like leaves? If so your right again

Moloch, I think you are right too. The first one I might have guessed Niveoscincus metallicus except for the fourth shot which looks much more like N coventry. The water skink also looks like E tympanum as you say and not E quoyii

Thanks, everyone, with the help on the identifications. I have seen many Niveoscincus in Tasmania but have not seen N. coventry before.

Hornet,
Here is another pic of the Stylidium:
styllidium2.jpg

Thanks again,
David

The graminifolium i have grown and that we get here locally have much narrower leaves but this is probably still graminifolium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back