Help with little behind of a bird!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asharee133

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ollie will NOT stop screaming!! hes been doing it for the past 6 weeks!! we've squirted him, ignored him screamed at him, comforted him, loved him, gave him food, flicked his beak, said no, covered him up, put him outside, we've tried everything!!! he starts at 8am and doesn't stop till 8pm. im going to either throw him out the darn front door or sell the bastard!!! http://aussiebirds.proboards.com/in...tion=display&thread=9936&page=1#ixzz19NytsFQc

The obvious inconsistency in your approach certainly will not be helping the situation.

What bird is it?

Is he board? Is he the kind of bird that would be better with a friend?

Is he board? Is he the kind of bird that would be better with a friend?

Board yeah he is a plank of wood. But yeah I think it depends on the type of bird, and a friend will probs do it.

he is a green cheek, and hes bonded to me, and attacks anything else including birds.

---------- Post added 28-Dec-10 at 05:47 PM ----------

and i get him out alot and pay attention to him, hes got toys

What toys he may be getting angry with a mirror if he attacks other birds. Are there many reflective surfaces near him?

How old is it? Screaming could be any number of things.

If you weren't so inconsistent with your approach, the screeching would probably have ceased by now. Screaming at the bird, giving it food, then flicking it's beak? Certainly not very productive!

Buy a good book and understand the behaviour of your animal a bit and you'll have more success.

Yeah parrots are really smart so you have to persist and be consistent like you would a child. My old gallah used to bite whenever he was out of his enclosure so if he bit straight back in he would go for a few days as time went on he learnt not to bite and was great out of the cage.

reflective stuff does nothing to him, and he has a boing, a chew thingy a bell which he loves, balls, and rings.

Ha. Okay then, well just keep doing what you're doing and good luck with it - you'll need it.

P.S. Nothing will work if you are not consistent.

Last edited:
thank god. hes quiet now. the other bird bit him by accident -.- and hes eating. and melissa, hes a year and a bit old, hes bonded to me and i do know bird behaviour and stuff, i never buy things outta impluse or anything, i always research it.

and melissa, hes a year and a bit old, hes bonded to me and i do know bird behaviour and stuff, i never buy things outta impluse or anything, i always research it.

hes been doing it for the past 6 weeks!! we've squirted him, ignored him screamed at him, comforted him, loved him, gave him food, flicked his beak, said no, covered him up, put him outside, we've tried everything

No offence intended, but if you knew what you say you do, then you certainly wouldn't be doing what you have been. It is evident that you don't understand the behaviour at all - see your first post. If you've tried all of the above methods in only six weeks (a lot of those methods will clearly be counter-productive if anything, and should not have been used in the first place), then you're not going about it in the right way at all.

Research, read some good books, then try again. Otherwise, your bird may develop behavioural problems that will be incredibly hard to break.

Think back, did anything in the bird's environment change around the time that the screeching began? Change in diet? Reaching sexual maturity maybe?

Last edited:
presistance is key with birds. like any animal.
and negetive reinforcment (beak flicking, screaming back at the bird etc) dose more harm than good.

like others have sugested seak advice from experenaced bird keepers / breeders. find some good books on the matter, and stick to a method for a while before you decide that its not working.

ive recently aquired an ecckie , who has a nasty habit of biteing, but im slowly getting him to stop,

there are no quick fixes for problem bird behaviour.

also point of intrest.
have you changed his enviroment ? moved his cage recently? or changed the dail routine with him?
such things offten will upset a bird.

i've been a bit distant from him because of mental issues with myself and sorting out my life, and i've been pretty upset and haven't been paying very much attention to him for about 2-3 weeks, maybe a bit longer :/ um, moved into a different room for a few days coz of his screaming and i like my sleep? erm....... thats about all. im ordering him a poop suit so he can be out more. hes a poop factory...

Well, I guess you have to address all of that before disciplining the bird for screeching (discipline isn't recommended at all btw, there are other, much more effective and productive methods of dealing with this behaviour).

If the animal's needs are not being met (especially since you say it has bonded strongly with you), it is going to try and communicate this to you in the only way it knows how - screeching. Other behavioural problems may also result if the bird is being neglected.

From what I can gather, once a bird gets into a habit of screeching, it can be hard to break. I would advise getting on top of things as soon as possible to prevent this, as well as other issues from presenting.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited:
Have you seen this?

[video=youtube;tWe1oMok2wI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWe1oMok2wI&[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back