Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewmorcom

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is drew. My friends and i have been canyonning alot recently in the blue mountains and as a result have come across a lot of different snakes in and out of the canyons. We are trying to learn more about them so that we dont hurt them and they dont hurt us as sometimes a snake can block the path through a canyon and it would be nice to know if its safe to to try and get past the snake. We havent started taking pictures til now and have been trying to i.d a snake we found in starlight canyon in newnes national park. We though its might be a carpet python, then we were told its a broad headed snake. Now were confused..... Any help would be greatly appreciated with the identification though. Also wondering if anyone has any suggestions on websites to learn more about snakes for the future?

Cheers, Drew.

P1020708.jpg

This is the snake we found. Any ideas?

Diamond python. If you look through the snake id threads on this site you will pick up a great deal of knowledge and most of the time with pictures.

I've got a great little book with awesome pictures and descriptions called "A Photographic Guide to Snakes and other Reptiles of Australia" it's by Gerry Swan. It's small enough to take with you when you're out canyoning so you can I'd the snakes right away. So great to see these guys in the wild!

Thanks heaps for that guys. Now i know that our irrational panic and girlish shrieking was slightly unjustified :) I might look into getting that book actually as i think it could be very handy.

Dont think i have seen any of those yet. The main snake we come across the the red belly black and i stay far away from those. I understand though that the broad head is endangered and therefore very rare right? Ill definitely keep my eyes open for you though. Ill just take pictures of every snake i see and post it for you, haha. Im sure one of them will be it :)

definatly post pics up if your not 100% sure what type of snake it is. thats a harmless diamond python. but remember some harmless snakes look simular to venomouse snakes and an easy mistake to make as a newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back