Het breeding mathematics (moved posts)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulla_iia

Reaction score
how did you work your 66% chance of carrying the het gene out, cause I know if you breed het with hets, you get 25% normal, 25% albino, and 50% het. and if you breed het with normal you get even less hets.

You just answered yourself. Once you take the albino's out of the equation you are left with 25% normal and 50% het. which can be said as 2/3 is 66.6666%

Yes you are quite right, the maths is fairly straightforward.

I never knew 1/2 (50%) and 2/3 (66%) were the same thing, I am going to have to tell the math board about this one. Just because you take the Amelanistic out of the equations, doesnt mean your chances go up. For example if you has 12 hatchlings from het X het. 6 would be het, 3 would be normal, and 3 would be Amelanistic, take the Amelanistic out of the equation you still have 3 normal and 6 het, the numbers never change. But saying this, this is a theoretical law, as this ratio break down is not based on one clutch, it is based on average from all clutches, being the female might have nothing but normal in one clutch, and the next clutch it could be 50/50 Amelanistic and het. but the laws of average over the breeding age give the statistical break down. Sorry to cause debate on a for sale thread, I just want to know from the owner how the 66% is guaranteed and how it was worked out, $4000 is a big chunk of cash for playing roulette with hets

So I am interested in these possible hets, just want justification

For example if you has 12 hatchlings from het X het. 6 would be het, 3 would be normal, and 3 would be Amelanistic, take the Amelanistic out of the equation you still have 3 normal and 6 het, the numbers never change.

So out of the 9 left 6 should be hets. 6 divided 9 equals .666666666........ Which is a 66% chance of them being hets.

Of the 12 babies 75% of the offspring appear normal. Of this 75%(9 left) any one individual has a 66% chance of carrying the recessive gene for amelanism.

Basic if you take the time to think before you post!

Is it $4k per pair?

I never knew 1/2 (50%) and 2/3 (66%) were the same thing, I am going to have to tell the math board about this one. Just because you take the Amelanistic out of the equations, doesnt mean your chances go up. For example if you has 12 hatchlings from het X het. 6 would be het, 3 would be normal, and 3 would be Amelanistic, take the Amelanistic out of the equation you still have 3 normal and 6 het, the numbers never change. But saying this, this is a theoretical law, as this ratio break down is not based on one clutch, it is based on average from all clutches, being the female might have nothing but normal in one clutch, and the next clutch it could be 50/50 Amelanistic and het. but the laws of average over the breeding age give the statistical break down. Sorry to cause debate on a for sale thread, I just want to know from the owner how the 66% is guaranteed and how it was worked out, $4000 is a big chunk of cash for playing roulette with hets

So I am interested in these possible hets, just want justification

Well i apologise if i have offended you so greatly oh great mathmetician :) I should have made it clear to you that i considered the 75% left after the 25% albino or as you say "amelanistic" were taken out, as 100%. Does that clear it up for your math board?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back