Hot Day and Reptile Care?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Hi, after a hot day today in Melbourne I noticed that my bearded dragon enclosure gets warm and the thermostat turns of the heater as expected once it hits a certain level. Although the heat remains well contained there is no real basking spot to speak of as the heater is off although the temperature is still at a good level. I just wanted to know how other people deal with their reptiles on hot days? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

what i do to solve these problems only for lizards because they need a hot basking site not air temps. i keep all lizards in fish tanks and i make mesh lids on the top. then i have the light shining down into one end of the cage a branch under the light high up with can reach on a hot day 45 degrees with can't helm them it gets that hot in the wild and they just move if its to hot then under it i have something else like a rock or log so they can bask on that to and that gets about 35 degrees and then they can also lay on the floor where they get about 30 the other end of the tank has no heat at all so when they want no heat they go down there. i have seen some spend time up in the hottest basking part before on a hot day its just up to them and they can choose and with the tanks set up like this i don't use a thermostat i recumbent using one in a enclosed tank but there is a lot of ventilation because of the mesh top so i never have a problem. just like my monitors have no thermostats they have rows of 3 75w flood lights from coles and it ranges from 40 to 65 degree in the basking spot depending on the day and they go to the other end of the enclosure if they want to cool down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back