Northern Spiney Tailed Gecko Need Some Advice On Heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesoAuction

Reaction score
Hey, just to start, I acquired a juvenile Northern Spiney Tailed Gecko named Ekko (Strophurus ciliaris) recently, and he is eating four medium sized crickets every 3 days with calcium coating applied every second feeding. He is housed in a 30cm X 30cm X 45cm enclosure (plan to upgrade after a year once he grows) with sand substrate, branch, vine, and a compact top that has Exo Terra Repti Glo UVB 5.0 Compact Bulb installed that will automatically turn on from 7:00am to 3:00pm. Currently, the only heating I have for him is a heat mat I found on Amazon that has the ability to change its temperature underneath. I believe it is used for seedlings, but it was also marketed for reptiles in the description.

Now here comes the problem: I live in Sydney NSW and it is getting rather chilly throughout the day and night. Temperatures range from 17c to 19c during the day and about 13c to 15c at night. I keep a heater on in the garage where he is located and the temperature is set to 26c, and the heat mat is at 40c despite that the temperature readings on both thermometer reads as follows:
Closest to warm spot: 22.5c - 23c
Farthest from warm spot: 19c - 20c
Side note: there is a clear heat gradient as the warm spot of sand is warm to the touch while the opposite side is cold.

So here is the plan and I just need some reassurance or advice in knowing if it would be safe for the gecko before I go ahead with it, I plan to go with the Arcadia Deep Heat Projector 50W installed in an Exo Terra Porcelain Clamp Lamp Reflector Small 14cm connected to an Eco Tech Advanced Reptile Thermostat Timer. I plan to hopefully angle the Arcadia DHP so that it hits only the warm spot of the enclosure to create a better gradient than it currently has.

So the main question is, is it safe to use an Arcadia Deep Heat Projector with a thermostat for the little guy? I just need some advice from more educated and experienced keepers.
Thanks

Might also change that Fern into a Spinifex or a few rocks when I have the chance as it doesn't fit the enviroment

Deep heat projectors are not good lots of people were deceived by one book, deceptive research and major brands by giving influencers free stuff to push the brands agenda. long term very few of these paid influencers still use them.

Over seas they seem to do spiny tails better than we do. They use mini lamp domes and 20-30w halogen bulbs to provide a warm spot.

Back