Housing File Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey there!
I am looking at getting a file snake, and have done some research. I read that the tank should be well ventilated (eg mesh/open lid). Just wondering if it is ok to use an air pump (as in fish tanks), or does this create too much water movement?
I have seen Wrasse's site - hope he/others can help, and any other info would be great?
I have also read the thread about not using small, loose substrate.
Cheers!

Hi Jozz.

I do use an airstone at one end of the tank. I find the feeder fish gasp too much and fish mortality rate (before they can be eaten) is high. I keep the airstone at the end away from the filtration inlet and just have it on a slow trickle. Any faster and it tends to be noisy and this can stress some fussy filesnakes.

I found the best substrate for the filesnakes was small gravel (almost sand size), siliconed to the bottom! To do this I simply spread silicone lightly and evenly across the bottom of an empty dry tank, then sprinkled my gravel of choice over the wet silicone and patted it gently down into the silicone to bed it in. Do a small section at a time if you have a large tank. Once the silicone is dry, simply vacuum the excess gravel out and you have a decorative finish that looks good, is safe, and doesn't hold the filth in. This way your filtration is far more effective and you don't have to suction clean the gravel to keep the tank clean.

I attached my plants to my mallee roots in the tank however my feeder fish kept eating them! Magpie came up with a neat idea for 'greenery', he got some of the plastic solid shadecloth, cut it into strips and wired it to (almost small fist sized) rocks. The rocks stay down and the 'greenery' offers coverage without the problem of feeder fish eating it or pots becoming uprooted.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have further questions. We have a few 'fura keepers onsite now. :)

Thanks Wrasse. I have heard that they can become stressed easily. Do you use a fluro to light up the tank, or does the light stress them out?

Forgot one other thing - what lid do you use on your tank?

Jozz, they don't enjoy light. I had a 4' flouro on mine, mostly to simluate day / night cycle and also for the fish. But I also lined the bottom with large rock and had about 6 large pieces of driftwood in there for hiding spots. I rarely saw my fileys except when they came up for breath.
I bought a standard pine hood and routed the top out in two sections and replaced it with mouse wire. Ventilation is very important!

I have heard that the most important rule with file snakes is to keep the water clean.

Alas they cannot be kept in Victoria :-(

Ballarat wild life park has some though ;-)

I love their long fine tongues!

'Clean' water is often misunderstood. They do require clean water, clean of ammonia and nitrites/nitrates, however they do well in blackwater.

A blackwater tank is, ideally, a tank where the tannins have leeched out of the driftwood and timber roots in the tank, to give the water a tea colour or dirty water appearance. Another way to create a blackwater tank easily is to add a handful of peat (rinsed well first) to your filter. There are artificial products that can be added to the water in the form of drops that do the same thing, however my fish keeping friends warned me off from these products due to possible carcinogenic ingredients. If you intend to keep a blackwater tank, then you need to remove the carbon from the filtration, as the carbon is what takes this colour out of the water and makes it crystal clear again.

I have modified my tanks to have escape proof covers. I create a timber frame around the top of the tank, siliconed in place and screwed at the joints. Then made a rectangular frame in timber, to sit on the top of the tank framing. This top frame is hinged and has clips at the front and the main body is mouse wire. This means also that I can drill a couple of little holes in my flouro cover and attach it directly to the mousewire with electrical cables. The flouro then lifts with the lid when I open it up. I have holes drilled into my glass for the pipework and cabling, but equally, it is a simple affair to trim out a few mousewire squares to pass cabling and pipework through at the back of the hinged lid.

The only time I use my flouro lighting, is when I am doing some work with the tank and I need it to see. My main tank is set up in a low traffic area and it gets a small amount of natural daylight.

Stress is a major factor in the overall health of the animal. However, like normal snakes, some stress more than others. Make sure water noise and movement is kept to a minimum and there are plenty of hiding holes and groundcover in the tank. Cheap plastic aquarium plant leaves can be cut up and sprinkled onto the waters surface for cover from above (a high stress factor is predation from above). The midwater range will need to be more open and clear as they will hunt and the lessed stressed will swim in this area also. I like to create a corner and back u shape cover and leave centre front clear.

I did ramble on. Oops :) I can put up pics of my tank lids later if you want them. I can't do it right now as the hard drive is currently not connected.

Thanks alot every one - very helpful.
Pictures would be great!

What an amazing leaf. I am tempted to grab some and try them, except my Peat bag is still full bar 1 handful. :p

No granulatus here, although, I certainly would be interested in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back