housing gecko's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor_Keeper

Reaction score
I have already gotten some very helpful opinions by some people off this site but just wondering if i was to put a 5 month olf female smooth knob tailed gecko in with a 9 month old male smooth knob tailed gecko and i fed them seperately there would be no problems in housing them together?

cheers scott

There shouldn`t be a problem, they should be about the same size, there`s no need to seperate for feeding.

uhh i have now heard agai that putting a 5 month old would not work out cause of the size difference and the male would want to breed is this right?

I wouldn't. My male is alot smaller than my female and he just constantly rapes her. The young female won't be ready to breed and will be constantly harrassed, it willstress the poor lady out!

HAHA rapes her constantly lol ok ok well put well ok well i dnt wanna put a lady under pressure lol with my malee so i think il wait a bit longer for a more mature female lol

Just pop them in seperate cages until they are ready to breed. I keep mine seperate all the time now unless putting together for mating. I seperated them on the advice of more experienced keepers on here. Since seperating them the female has gained weight alot quicker after egg laying as she isn't being harrassed by the male. She eats better and is now a lady of leisure......... not a sex object lol

lol would be good idea but i have heard they get lonely and im definately gonna keep them together ( when i get female) haha just cause they will be company and good friends ( with privlages)

I dont think they get lonely, most breeders will keep females together and males singularly. If you watch your geckos much in the evenings you will notice how much the males pester the females. Its not nice to watch when your female has just carried and laid 2 HUGE eggs, not eaten for over a week as there is no room for food in her abdomen, gone through the stress of laying, skinny........ then the male comes along and attacks her and tries to mate, the poor females will hiss and squeal in distress while the male is biting and holding on.

trust me...... i was all up for keeping mine together as a pair until i witnessed this. It is very distressing for the poor females.

Needless to say, i think she prefers being on her own and does NOT miss him as her company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back