Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
27 rats per week for 27 adult pythons @ 4.00 = 108.00
23+ mice for antaresia and hatchlings @ 2.00 each = 108.00
Food for 30+ lizards and turtles, turtle food, bugs and vegies = approx $25.00 per week.
$3000.00 approx per year to keep them all warm.
Feeding and cleaning 80 tubs rats and mice, no amount of money pays you for all the hours spent there.
Feeding, cleaning and general upkeep of 50+ pythons, no amount of money for time there.

This doesn't take in the odd trip to the vet, all the accessories that have to be bought, thermostats, ceramic heat emitters etc
But all is good as some people expect them for next to nothing!! :)

Like others said, my enjoyment I get from this is totally priceless!!!! :)

Adult Frozen food = $25 per Month
Juvinile Frozen Food = $20 per Month

Substrate = $15 Bi-Monthly
Cleaning Spray = $12 Half Yearly
Paper Towels = $2 per Month

100w Globe running 24hrs for 4 mths (winter) = $240 (approx)
75w Globe running 12hrs for 8 mths (summer) = $182 (approx)

75w Globe running 24hrs for 4 mths (winter) = $91 (approx)
50w Globe running 12hrs for 8 mths (summer) = $121 (approx)

So on average Im spending about $188.5 per month (approximately)

This doesn't include the setup costs which would add about $1000 min (in total) for the 2 enclosures and vet runs if needed.

Thanks Fay and S_word for adding yours... I think the difference in what people are paying is really interesting. Not to say your babies shouldn't have the best, but the price differences are fairly substantial, and there are obviously ways to keep snakes happy, but without the costs becoming exorbitant.

eekk my power bill and food costs are just stupid , no way I'll ever want to sit down and work it all out , haha

If I can get my costs to 38c per day per snake.. I'm willing to do the maths ;)

I got $203.00 per year just in power for one monitor... eeekk
And @ $7 x two adult rats and 1/2 kg chicken necks $4 it works out to $936.00

So er $1139.00 for one well fed Lizard....

geeeeeezzz... I was thinking of getting into monitors when I'm back :shock:

geeeeeezzz... I was thinking of getting into monitors when I'm back :shock:

Move to the tropics, no electricity costs here and if you pick the right suburb, invest in a couple of rat traps. LOL

worked it out the other day and about 400 for my python, and 300-400 for beardies, turtle is pretty cheap around 200 and blue tounges about 300

so about 1-1.2 grand a year :)

If I can get my costs to 38c per day per snake.. I'm willing to do the maths ;)

heat cords and well set up enclosure, are the secret, and i have the 5 x 6month old hatchies on the one 50w heatcord, so i thought i'd recalculate the cost of 6 x 2yo snakes, all in the same type enclosure that the 2yo is in now,

6 x 2yo snakes (fed fortnightly) $780.00 per year
6 x 25w heat cord & 6 x 40w globes, $404.88 " "

Total for 6 young adult snakes
$1184.88 per year for 6
$22.78 per week for 6
$3.80 per week each snake
55c per day per snake............

I'm still smiling, :lol:

and to the kind APS member who told me i was blowing smoke out of my rear end, there are members here than can verify that they have seen my setups with their own eyes.........:p

and to the kind APS member who told me i was blowing smoke out of my rear end, there are members here than can verify that they have seen my setups with their own eyes.........:p[/FONT][/COLOR]

I believe ya anyway, Jax ;)

ok my dogs food costs : $2145.00 per year, vet bill : $260. per year for vacc and all shots.
my snakes I own x5 : $110. per month (bulk food) x6 L RATS, x5 S RATS, x10 L MICE.
: $1320 per year to feed all x5
: $30. each vet check ups per year.
I build my own enclosures and will spend $130 - 900 each enclosure that will last for 3 years.
I live in Darwin so electricity only gets used for 2 weeks in winter.

20 snakes, species are not really needed to know but 16 are adults 2 are yearlings and 2 are hatchies.

Substrate = free from newsagents.
Electricity = free, long story.
Rodents = free, rodent breeding is my full time job so if I'm making a living and feeding my snakes they are therefore free my friends ;)
Vet = $0 never had to take a snake to the vet!! touch wood
Time = free, I do it in my spare time.
Money returned to me by keeping snakes = priceless!! It's a passion not a profession!!

Electricity = free, long story.
Lets sit around the camp fire while Bax155 tells us an awesome story! :p
hahah
You are very lucky mate:)

i have to say, that small appliances calculator better be wrong, because i calculated the cost of my enclosures, and its $50 a year! (if working off winter heating shcedules) ive been paying an extra 20 per quarter on power bills for them, when both my other housemates watch their plasma teli's and use computers whilst playing playstation with all their lights on as soon as they get home. (our last power bill was $750.. surely thats not normal)
here i am sitting in the dark side of the house, hoping that my thermostats will be timed right to get me a little light so i can see what im doing!
i just realised i havnt factored in my fish tanks as a cost yet.. but if they cost more than my snakes i would be suprised (one 4 footer and a tiny little one foot quarantine tank that rarely has anything in it, but is always running. in fact it currently has 4 fish in it).
as for the rest.. 30 bucks on rats ages ago... will last me another couple of months at least
70 bucks on fish.. i go through them quite quickly.. so $10 lasts me about 1 week (im not a fish breeder, but would kill to know how to mass produce fish)
cheap crickets (i dont even know, because i bought something else when i got the crickets today and i payed no notice) but id say 2.50 a fortnight sounds about right?
substrate, i just spent 18 bucks on a big bag of kitty litter (cardboard basically) and chucked it in a blender to make cardboard sand/dust. i use anything thats cheap and has consistency of sand thats not gritty and actually sand. so 40 bucks a year.

so for 3 snakes and a beardie it comes to....
100 for power (thats being generous and taking into account my soon to be acquired new snake)
520 for fish (will get cheaper as snakes get bigger.. just hard to find cheap fish of the right size for smaller snakes)
80-100 for rats (considering im getting a 4th snake when DECC get off their bum)
100ish for crickets and vegies
150 for globes

so 970 all up per year for really 4 snakes and a dragon

Last edited:
i dont know how people are managing to spend $500 a year on 1 snake, for my 7, (4 yr old bredli, 2x2.5 yr old bredli, 6yr old diamond, 1.5 yr old diamond and 2X1.5 yr old jungles) all of who are still growing i buy bulk rats every 6 months, between 400-500 worth, so say $900 a year on food.
newspaper for substrate, which would just get recycled anyway so thats free.

8 dragons, i breed most of their roaches, but top up the tub probably twiice a year with a kg ($60/kg)each time, so $120
have started buying all organic salad fro them, so probably $10 a week, $500 per year.
i probably replace a $4 globe between them monthly, if that, so $50 on globes
Dragons total $670

Geckos (4 amyae and 2 golden tails) 4 tubs of crickets at $20 for the 4 every 3 weeks, so $350ish per year, they only ever poo in 1 small corner which gets scooped out daily, $5 a year to top up their sand.
gecko enclosures sit on top of snake enclosures so heating is free.

power seems to be around $300 a quarter fro the house, so maybe $50 of that for the kids, ill say $200 per year,...max.

which comes to around $2k a year fro 20 critters.

obviously initial setup costs are kinda high, most of teh snakes have heat panels which saves heaps on red lights that blow constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back