How to Create a Leafy Background?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to plan a background for the new enclosure we'll have soon (see thread: Enclosure: Advice Before Starting). I'm not wanting to go down the path of a fake rock wall but more of a tropical scene. I've done this on a mini scale in the current 450mm cube tank. At that size, it was easy: Driftwood from the beach and fake plants from Spotlight. These included a solid wall of random leaves for the background and vines growing around some of the driftwood. Fallen dead leaves finish the look of a tropical forest.

But the next tank will be 1500mmH x 1000mmW x 600mmD. On the small tank with a 4' snake, the little push-on joins that fake plants are made up of sometimes come apart if she decides to crawl through them on the back wall. Any ideas how I can be successful when the tank is larger and the snake weighs several times what she weighs now?

Thanks,
Mark

You could buy/make fake vines and wrap the fake leaves tightly around them. Then the snake's weight will be supported by the vine but it will still look leafy. I've seen a few people on here make bendable fake vines from old garden hose

I just found the old thread I was looking for which explains my suggestion a bit more. I've been wanting to try this out since last year when that thread was made but I got lazy.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/cheap-easy-made-vines-153213/

Last edited:
Just came across an extremely inexpensive eBay seller of fake leaves/vines. Search "Artificial leaves". He sells from Hong Kong and the close-ups suggest they're as good as anything sold in local stores but for a fraction of the price.

Once you're happy with the positioning of yer fake plants on the back wall, I'd suggest a dab of silicone in the rubber suckers to keep them permanently in place.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you're happy with the positioning of yer fake plants on the back wall, I'd suggest a dab of silicone in the rubber suckers to keep them permanently in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back