How to keep Woodies the right way?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No , I don't use any substrate. My tub has nothing but egg cartons on edge so the frass falls down, and 2 tubs. 1 for wet food and 1 for dry food.
If you put substrate in the baby woodies get tossed out when you clean up

Nope, as the member above said i just keep mine in a big pail with small ventilation holes. i have a ring of fluon around the top inside to stop them climbing out. egg cartons to hide in

Hi all, recently I set up to small woodie colonies to sustain my relatively small reptile collection. I had them in bare bottom tubs, and egg crates. About two weeks later the colony started to smell. Did a bit of reading and found that the smell was coming from the dead woodies decaying. I also read it could be beneficial to have a substrate inside the tub with mealworms in it to eat the decaying woodies which prevents the smell. Well, I did that, and yay no smell!, but now dry food, (dog biscuits) gets fungus/mould on it very quickly. I found a way to slow this down by putting it in a small jar lid.
So, what I want to know is, how do you guys keep your woodies?
Keep them as dry as you can. If you put veggies in take them out that night or the next morning, we supply a constant container of oats mixed with gutload, keep them fairly warm but not too hot, our colony is thriving on basically neglect as long as they’re warm

Latest posts

Back