Hypsilurus Enclosure Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.James

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a few people ask for photo's so I thought its best to start a thread. Feel free to share your rainforest dragon enclosure photo's.

I'll start off with my juvenile enclosure housing both Hypsilurus (Spinipes & Boydii)

*The camera has made everything seem really bright, its darker in the enclosure than shown in photo's.

Attachments

• enclosure1.JPG
    enclosure1.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 633
  • enclosure2.JPG
    enclosure2.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 470
They look nice James. I can certainly get a few ideas for my new one here!

Mr.Boyd,

Love your set up...

I had someone tell me the other day that you can keep some (smaller) frogs in with Spinipes. He said you could keep and breed together constantly. He said that while larger frogs would try to eat smaller dragons, frogs like Dainty's work really well.

If it worked, it would be a really nice addition to an enclosure.

What's your opinion?

If I may bud in - it works reasonably well in a very large enclosure but the lizards may suffer from stress if they can't get away from the frogs (numbers are important). Reason? Simple: Boyds (and other dragons) are diurnal and they sleep at night whilst the nocturnal frogs jump around at night, disturbing the lizard's sleep.

We successfully kept Boyds and terrestrial frogs (Mixophyes schevilli) together in a very tall enclosure where the Boyds settled in the upper branches for the night and the frogs were active on the cage floor, so it worked well. I am not sure how it would go with tree frogs though.

That enclosure is 900x900x600mm. I keep 2x H.spinipes & 4x H.boydii all around the same age, 5-6months old.

My Angle-headed dragons are currently listed in the for sale section.

Lets see some more enclosures!

You need the enclosure to be abit longer to give them some ground space in my opinion. It will depend on how you set things up too, once you add your furnishings.

I Keep my 2 Angle headed dragons in a 4ft Long, 4ft Tall, and 60cm wide enclosure.
However we are moving houses at the moment and my camera is packed away, once i get everything sorted ouit i might get a couple of pics.
Awesome enclosure Mr. Boid, i relli lik how ur branches and furnishings are positioned.

Cheers Daniel

Mr Boyd what is the substrate in that enclosure? and do you need to worry about drainage in that enclosure? Do you just replace the substrate with new substrate when needed? If so,how often would you change it? cheers

Grunter023, the substrate is palm peat & I have flyscreen beneath it, with large river pebbles on the base. The excess water is evaporated. There is no actual drainage outlet. Very rarely would the substrate be completely changed, the enclosure is spot cleaned most of the time & the dragons usually use their water bowl or waterfall as a toilet (which is handy). I'd say complete change every 6-12months.. Hard to say because I'm always changing things around, there's no set & forget.

My other larger enclosure is still in the works so won't post a photo yet. It has a similar base setup, but has a drainage point. I find its not really necessary though, unless you plan to install a misting system.

There must be more enclosure photo's out there?

Last edited:
Heres a couple of pics.
005-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

More photo's!

Attachments

• boydii.JPG
    boydii.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 151
  • juvies.JPG
    juvies.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 162
Boyds. (pm if your interested in hatchlings this season)

Attachments

• H.boydii.JPG
    H.boydii.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 162
This enclosure is only 1000Hx1600Lx600D & just temporary, planning to build a larger built-in enclosure in the future.

Pike1 how big is that enclosure & is it completely outdoor? I'm interested to see more pics.

Attachments

• boyds enclosure.JPG
    boyds enclosure.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back