I found an Eastern Longneck Turtle an have no experience with turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helena

Reaction score
Hi
I am trying to find an experienced turtle owner who lives in Melbourne and would like to have the turtle that I found.
Earlier in the week I found what I believe to be an eastern longneck walking along a bike path near my house. I took it home to make sure it was out of danger, thinking that it must be a neighbour's pet. (I've put up posters in the neighbourhood but so far no one has resonded). I have no experience with turtles, and have now learnt online that eastern longnecks are one of the hardest turtles to keep as a pet. I am not a suitable owner and I would love for this turtle to have a happy, healthy home.

Only early respondents, as well as people who are capable of housing the turtle in a happy & healthy environment and would be able to offer a small amount of money will be taken into consideration.

Thanks very much.

So you are selling a turtle that you found? Why are you asking for a small amount of money??

These turtles are found around Melbourne's waterways and are very common. What suburb are you in?

release it, its illegal to take and sell reptile found in the wild and it can result in hefty fines

I do not want to release the turtle into the wild if I can avoid it, because I have heard that these kind of actions can upset existing ecosystems, bring in disease, etc
I was fairly certain that the turtle was a local pet, but from what you've said Jay84 it's much more likely that the turtle came from my neighbourhood's canal (Elsternwick canal). Maybe I should return it.
Forgive me for asking for money... kind of a struggling uni student at the moment. My main concern is making sure this turtle is going to be okay.

release it. Its the best thing (and the only legal way) to do

Hahahaha...you just poached your way into the wrong forum...

I suggest you return it.

Alright. Just to clarify: I found this and took it home without any idea that it was from the wild, let alone a native Australian species. Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll take it to our nearby canal.

You can't be faulted for your concern of the animal Helena. Once he's put back all will be well :)
Can you take some release pictures for us.. We like to see what people find :)

I do not want to release the turtle into the wild if I can avoid it, because I have heard that these kind of actions can upset existing ecosystems, bring in disease, etc
I was fairly certain that the turtle was a local pet, but from what you've said Jay84 it's much more likely that the turtle came from my neighbourhood's canal (Elsternwick canal). Maybe I should return it.

Elsternwick Canal...... you live in Elsternwick?
This is near me. I can assure you it is probably a wild animal having a wander in the wet weather we are experiencing. If you release it in the canal i am sure it will be fine as it probably came from here anyway.
Forgive me for asking for money... kind of a struggling uni student at the moment. My main concern is making sure this turtle is going to be okay.

I do not want to release the turtle into the wild if I can avoid it, because I have heard that these kind of actions can upset existing ecosystems, bring in disease, etc.

These actions can indeed upset local ecosystems if in infact the said reptile was infact not native to that ecosystem, Eastern Long Necked Turtle's are very common through out the eastern/south eastern Victoria and so would have no ill impact on the native ecosystem, especially considering it is infact apart of that ecosystem and would still be if you hadn't illegally captured it.

You have now held it for ransom to the highest bidder for your own personal monetary gain.

I would personally be happy to pay you $1000 for it considering you would then be up to $5000 out of pocket via a fine made payable to the Department of Sustainability and Environment and not to mention a possible criminal conviction that would put any future you have intended with your uni studies in doubt.

interesting fact for the day...
"They are the most common and widespread turtle in Australia but did not naturally occur in the Melbourne region. Large numbers were imported as pets from the Gippsland Lakesin the 1950s and 1960s and Melbourne populations, now common and widespread, are thought to have started from released pets."

interesting fact for the day...
"They are the most common and widespread turtle in Australia but did not naturally occur in the Melbourne region. Large numbers were imported as pets from the Gippsland Lakesin the 1950s and 1960s and Melbourne populations, now common and widespread, are thought to have started from released pets."

wow.... you learn something new everyday!

Do you think over time they would have naturally spread to Melbourne anyways?? Coming from Gippsland is not too far (i know it is a large distance for a turtle lol) but over time they could have naturally spread?

Now, they are in about every dam or water way in and around Melbournes suburbs.

Just released it next to the canal, it seemed very happy. Thanks everyone for your advice. Thanks for your nice words, snowman.
For those of you who were a little more aggressive with their responses, please understand that most members of the public do not have the knowledge that you have about approriate actions in this kind of situation.

Well done for releasing him... I am sure he is swimming around happily int he canal telling his friends of his adventure lol

I dont understand why people are having a GO at helena, he was just trying to make sure the turtle went back to the right home, your flaming the wrong person, its not like he is out there poaching hundreds of turtles ffs...

glad u released, i understand u were tryna help but maybe next time call council:)

I dont understand why people are having a GO at helena, he was just trying to make sure the turtle went back to the right home, your flaming the wrong person, its not like he is out there poaching hundreds of turtles ffs...
Asking for money? It all starts with the one animal! No offence Helena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back