I want a Pady Melon as a pet!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontePython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Thylogale thetis is one cool marsupial. It seems the Australian Government hasnt cottoned on to utalising its wildlife as pets yet like other countries. I see these all the time in the bush and think to myself how cool they would look surrounded by native plants and some nice sized boulders in my back yard.

Up side... i wouldnt have to mow anymore.

Anyone else have a craving to keep any of our weirder marsupials. Tazzie Tigers would be another on the wish list if they were still around.

They can be kept in Vic. Perhaps you should move a bit south!
They make great lawn mowers!

I would love to have sugar gliders, platypus and mitchells hopping mice unfortunately qld law says no.

im not trying to sound like a hater,but im so glad that most marsupials cannot be kept by people outside captive institutions,and are in the hands of trained professionals and not people who come up with the idea that they would make a 'cool pet'.
Especially macropods as they suffer greatly at the hands of people who dont know what they are doing.
whilst Working in the animal industry i have cared for an Australian mammal collection,and even at moment still do some work with macropods,and i would hate to see them as pets having seen the results of peole trying to keep them and having to give up and hand it on to experianced carers,usually at the expense of the poor animal

but + 1 on them being cool animals :)

im not trying to sound like a hater,but im so glad that most marsupials cannot be kept by people outside captive institutions,and are in the hands of trained professionals and not people who come up with the idea that they would make a 'cool pet'.
Especially macropods as they suffer greatly at the hands of people who dont know what they are doing.
whilst Working in the animal industry i have cared for an Australian mammal collection,and even at moment still do some work with macropods,and i would hate to see them as pets having seen the results of peole trying to keep them and having to give up and hand it on to experianced carers,usually at the expense of the poor animal

Couldn't agree more.

I dont see the problem as long as there was regulation/licencing and/or training in the species wanting to be kept.
Thats a pretty broad statement same could be said for novice Aquarists and the Herp keepers that are posted about on here (moniter thread, bent nose.).

You can keep them on the basic permit in SA so I would assume that they are relatively easy to care for. (Not saying they are). I think that if someone really wants one and they are willing to put in the hard yards and learn to keep the animal then it should be fine. You have to remember that zoological institutions started out with fairly cruel practices and they were in the phases of learning. Now that the knowledge is assessable people should be more than welcome to use it and care for our magnificent fauna.

. You have to remember that zoological institutions started out with fairly cruel practices and they were in the phases of learning. Now that the knowledge is assessable people should be more than welcome to use it and care for our magnificent fauna.
THe other side of the coin is that the individuals more suited for captivity breed better in captivity making it slightly easier for the next lot of keepers.

Personally, I'd like to see us owning native wildlife rather than dogs, cats, goats and other animals that have gone feral and impacted negatively on the environment (on that, note, we'd better clear off too!)

Being more positive, pademelons are the CUTEST, I had a lot of fun spotting them in Tasmania. You can keep them here on the basic license.

im not trying to sound like a hater,but im so glad that most marsupials cannot be kept by people outside captive institutions,and are in the hands of trained professionals and not people who come up with the idea that they would make a 'cool pet'. There are many private keepers that would be more than capable of keeping these animals in their collections and meeting all of the animals needs.
Especially macropods as they suffer greatly at the hands of people who dont know what they are doing.The more these animals are kept the more knowledge is gained, making captive conditions even better and the knowledge shared between keepers.
whilst Working in the animal industry i have cared for an Australian mammal collection,and even at moment still do some work with macropods,and i would hate to see them as pets having seen the results of peole trying to keep them and having to give up and hand it on to experianced carers,usually at the expense of the poor animalThis happens with dogs, cats, rabbits, birds etc etc etc..... the list goes on. Where animals are kept, there will ALWAYS be those irresponsible pet owners where the animals will suffer.

Just curious, if you see them all the time in the bush, isn't that enough? Why would you want to confine one in your backyard when you can wander off and see them anytime in their natural habitat?

Jamie

To see them locally its a 2.5 hour drive in a large deisel 4x4. $80
Watching them feed and breed in my back yard... Priceless.

I want a small colony of whip tail wallabys. When i get a backyard and my dog dies. I always get padymelons in my backyard they get pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back