I will be getting my 2 very first Lizards/ Skinks on the weekend.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXRecreationXx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be adding to my collection / Getting my first two Blue Tongue Skinks/ Lizards. I have done research on them. I have a care sheet printed out. ( For the people that keep Blue Tongues , what do you recommend to feed them ? I have done research on what they like. Just wanting to get people's opinions. ( Or any advise on keeping them ?)( Will post photos of when i get them)

Thanks
xxRecreationxx

Last edited:
this is what mine eat

bannanas
apples
strawberries
peas
corn
carrot
snails as treats one or 2 per week
raw beef mice from the butcher (i get premium mince, has less fat)
and a pinkie or fuzzy once a fortnight

some people give theirs woodies, mealworms and crickets but mine don't eat them, maybe the odd meal worm mixed with food.

also some people give theirs dog food (canned), i don't feed my dogs canned dog food so i don't give it to my blues either, i mix a bit of mince with lots of defrosted carrots, corn and peas and some calcium and multi vitamin powder.

this is what mine eat

bannanas
apples
strawberries
peas
corn
carrot
snails as treats one or 2 per week
raw beef mice from the butcher (i get premium mince, has less fat)
and a pinkie or fuzzy once a fortnight

some people give theirs woodies, mealworms and crickets but mine don't eat them, maybe the odd meal worm mixed with food.

also some people give theirs dog food (canned), i don't feed my dogs canned dog food so i don't give it to my blues either, i mix a bit of mince with lots of defrosted carrots, corn and peas and some calcium and multi vitamin powder.
Only feed them banana every once and a while like snails not a staple diet forfor

+1 for the banana occasionally,mine also gets some fruit salad,also likes butternut pumpkin and zucchini.Some people say kiwi fruit
Never feed fish or fatty meat

I am no expert but I remember reading somewhere that banana isn't great for lizards,from memory something in it can block calcium uptake.

I give my bluey Gizmo a mix of vegetables, fruit and proteins (proteins sourced from dog food (natures gift brand) or mince meat). Froze the mix into an ice cube tray after blitzing in the processor to make for easier serving. Current mix consists off chicken breast (diced, boiled), egg (whole, raw), capsicum (1/4 of a medium sized one), bok choy (2 bunches), cucumber (1), mushroom (100g), peas, corn, brocolli, carrot (2), banana (1/2 of one) and fig (one). This makes enough for five-six ice cube trays. A lot of these vegetables/fruits are moderation only, but with the amounts being small I think there is a bit of leeway, although the next batch is going to have more 'frequently' foods instead of mostly 'in moderation only' foods.

For treats, boiled egg, gutloaded wood roaches, gutloaded crickets or gutloaded mealworms are provided (not all at once). Every third feed is supplemented with Calcium & D3 supplement (Reptical). Every fifth feed is supplemented with vitamins (Reptivite).

Gizmo gets one frozen cube daily (defrosted first), with a teaspoon of proteins mixed in. He/she is only four months old hence the daily feeds (frequency will be reduced with larger feedings as he/she gets older, Gizmo currently defecates daily so I believe feed amounts/frequency is ok). I'm not going to attempt to offer any advice as I've only had a Blue Tongue for three weeks. ;)

I am no expert but I remember reading somewhere that banana isn't great for lizards,from memory something in it can block calcium uptake.
banana is high in phosphorus which is why it is fed rarely,
I eat 1 banana per week and feed her the knob as a treat

I give my bluey Gizmo a mix of vegetables, fruit and proteins (proteins sourced from dog food (natures gift brand) or mince meat). Froze the mix into an ice cube tray after blitzing in the processor to make for easier serving. Current mix consists off chicken breast (diced, boiled), egg (whole, raw), capsicum (1/4 of a medium sized one), bok choy (2 bunches), cucumber (1), mushroom (100g), peas, corn, brocolli, carrot (2), banana (1/2 of one) and fig (one). This makes enough for five-six ice cube trays. A lot of these vegetables/fruits are moderation only, but with the amounts being small I think there is a bit of leeway, although the next batch is going to have more 'frequently' foods instead of mostly 'in moderation only' foods.

For treats, boiled egg, gutloaded wood roaches, gutloaded crickets or gutloaded mealworms are provided (not all at once). Every third feed is supplemented with Calcium & D3 supplement (Reptical). Every fifth feed is supplemented with vitamins (Reptivite).

Gizmo gets one frozen cube daily (defrosted first), with a teaspoon of proteins mixed in. He/she is only four months old hence the daily feeds (frequency will be reduced with larger feedings as he/she gets older, Gizmo currently defecates daily so I believe feed amounts/frequency is ok). I'm not going to attempt to offer any advice as I've only had a Blue Tongue for three weeks. ;)

sounds pretty good mate but I think you should up the calcium to every second feed as things like corn have very little calcium and only small amounts of broccoli as it's high in oxalates.check out this website:-
Bearded dragon food and nutrition - lovebeardies
and this one:-
Nutrition Content

I feed my bluey Jinxy a stable diet of the Vetafarm Lizard food, and i also offer her fruits and veggies (strawberries, little bit of banana, cos lettuce, carrot etc.) from time to time, i also offer lean beef mince to her once every now and then.

sounds pretty good mate but I think you should up the calcium to every second feed as things like corn have very little calcium and only small amounts of broccoli as it's high in oxalates.check out this website:-
Bearded dragon food and nutrition - lovebeardies
and this one:-
Nutrition Content

Thank you for the links, bookmarked them for future reference. I will increase calcium intake to every second feed, as well as avoid the corn and brocolli next time I make the food cubes as I will be able to get more of the staples. The nutrition content chart will be very useful, cheers.

To add onto the thread and question/s asked; using substrate they can burrow in would be ideal, however finer substrates such as coco peat might get into their nostrils too often. I use Kritters Krumble in the coarse version, though it takes a whole 20L bag to cover the base of a 1.4m by 45cm enclosure and give enough to burrow in. It's similar to coco peat, though the coconut is chopped into chips, not shredded or ground, therefore the dust is reduced (although there is still dust). There are many options for substrate, some cheaper than others, have a look around if you haven't already purchased some. :)

Thank you for the links, bookmarked them for future reference. I will increase calcium intake to every second feed, as well as avoid the corn and brocolli next time I make the food cubes as I will be able to get more of the staples. The nutrition content chart will be very useful, cheers.

To add onto the thread and question/s asked; using substrate they can burrow in would be ideal, however finer substrates such as coco peat might get into their nostrils too often. I use Kritters Krumble in the coarse version, though it takes a whole 20L bag to cover the base of a 1.4m by 45cm enclosure and give enough to burrow in. It's similar to coco peat, though the coconut is chopped into chips, not shredded or ground, therefore the dust is reduced (although there is still dust). There are many options for substrate, some cheaper than others, have a look around if you haven't already purchased some. :)
there is no need to completely avoid corn and broccoli as long as you know the limitations of some food items,as they say "all things in moderation"
As substrate I use wood chips a couple of inches deep and she loves to burrow through it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back