Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I WIN!!!!!1!!

it ended up being a long tailed earless dragon with a sever case or tail nipping :lol: the way we know it was this, is because it has no ears (yes this is a good clue) similar body and pattern, and the location it was actually found... im speaking of a different thread at www.beardeddragon.org were it was first posted, than re-posted here by Miss B.. :D

THANK YOU GOOGLE IMAGES!!!

THANK YOU GOOGLE IMAGES!!!

The google image search can be handy, but so many photos of animals
are hosted somewhere under a false name.

Stick with field guides Kirby, usually someone with good knowledge
has put them together, a lot more reliable than the internet.

yeh well in a time of need it is handy.. obviousely i can tell my way between a terribly mislabeled animal, but i understand what you mean..

looks like an ealss dragon to me. where about exactly was it found in S.A?

midget dragon

Kirby gets the gong with this one.

I contacted the guy who posted this on bearded dragon.org and asked him to look for ear openings. He said it did not have any. I also asked him where the animal was "rescued". He said Murray Bridge in SA.

Based on the information supplied on locality of collection and no obvious ear openings, I suggested on that forum that the animal is either Tympanocryptis lineata or Tympanocryptis tetraporophora. In my view it is most likely tetraporophora. I keep 3 species of Earless dragons including lineata but not tetraporophora.

And yes field guides are the best sources for identifying these animals. I used Wilson and Swan, A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia and T.F. Houston's Dragon lizards and Goannas of South Australia. Both books are very useful.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back