id?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nico77

Reaction score
my son saw a snake at school again today and swears it was a woma :) , im just wondering what we have around north brisbane that looks simalar ? i was thinking maybe a tiger or keelback but he keeps saying it was a woma , maybe it was some bodys pet .
this is what they said it looked like
hatchlingbowl.jpg

That's a Woma. Keelbacks and Tigers don't really look like that much at all. IMO the most similar looking snake to a Woma is a BHP or Night Tiger.

could have been a juvi eastern brown, they quite often have a pale head and stripes. hard to say though

thats not a picture of the snake, thats a picture of a woma whihc his kids said resembles the snake they saw.

ive never seen a brown with black around the eyes like that

He's not refering to the actual picture (that actually is a woma), he said it looks similar. My pick would be a juvie eastern brown but its impossible to say without seeing the snake.

It could have been several different species. You won't find Tigers in SEQ, apart from a few isolated populations outside of Brisbane. I would put my money on a juvenile Eastern Brown.

It could have been several different species. You won't find Tigers in SEQ, apart from a few isolated populations outside of Brisbane. I would put my money on a juvenile Eastern Brown.
I was told years ago by a supervisor that does road work , that they have seen a few tigers between boondal and nudgee , it could have been a bad id though . they have seen browns at school so maybe that was it .

cheers nico

I was told years ago by a supervisor that does road work , that they have seen a few tigers between boondal and nudgee , it could have been a bad id though . they have seen browns at school so maybe that was it .

cheers nico
There are small populations of tigers in SE QLD in a few different areas outside of Brisbane and on the Sunshine Coast, however Rough-Scaled Snakes can often be mistaken for tigers and are more common.

thanks matt , im going early to pick up the kids tommorow so i can have a look around and see if i can spot any snakes , there is also a heap of baby beardys getting around there at the moment , a teacher got the kids to move them into the bush because the butcher birds were giving them a hard time .

cheers nico

G'day Nico,

A lot of different snakes get misidentified as Tigers in SEQ. Tiger Snakes are a temperate species, thriving in cool climates, so their distribution in SEQ is very small and highly localised. Generally the misidentified snakes are Keelback, which also get called "Swamp Tigers" by old times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back