Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdadrma

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Yesterday evening I got a call from a friend who had found a frog that had hitched a ride down from Queensland with some bananas. I got the frog to feed on some small crickets last night but at the moment I cant get him to feed. Its a orange eyed tree frog we think. My GTFs never have refused food before so this is a bit weird.

We are worried that this could be a sign of ill health since hes had a long journey and he is only small. So if anyone has got ideas about how we could get him to feed that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Where abouts are you located? Transported frogs should be turned into groups such as FATS in NSW or the Amphibian Research Centre in Victoria. They often carry diseases which can be risk to local species or even your own. They are also highly stressed from the journey. What do you mean by Orange Eyed Tree Frog? Litoria xanthomera? It's most likely to be a Dainty Green Tree Frog (Litoria gracilenta). I'd suggest keeping it in a dark warm place with some water and somewhere to hide to try and minimise the stress.

Aaron

Im in SA. From pictures i've seen on the net I think it might be Litoria chloris. We've put it into a seperate enclosure to make sure our frogs wouldnt be effected by any diseases it may have.

just had a look at pictures of the Litoria gracilenta. Your spot on with that!

South Australia has much more relaxed/lax (depending how you look at it) regulations with regards to frogs and reptiles. I'm not sure if any society in South Australia are willing to quarantine banana box frogs. It's important to keep the frog isolated from any other animals you own. FrogsSA would normally be my point of contact in these instances but I am unsure if they are still functioning these days! http://www.frogsaustralia.net.au/community/search.cfm?id=24

Aaron

I wouldnt worry to much if it was eating last night, just leave it alone during the day as they are nocturnal animals. As suggested keep it in a dark place and provide it with clean water(not tap water unless its been aged).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back