Info for a Frilled Neck Lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren92

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Frilled Neck Lizard but before I get one I was just wanting to know about their temperament and how hard they are to keep and what their enclosure needs are- is an outdoor enclosure suitable? I have had a look on the Herp stores site so i have got some information about them, its just those that im unsure about. I've got a few lizards and snakes so I'm not new to handling and caring for reptiles.
thanks, Lauren

Hi Lauren, there was an article about them in one of the recent issues of Scales and Tails (issue 17 I think).

What species do you currently have or have experience with because frillies are a bit more complicated than most...

Also about frillies you should check out that Scales & Tails copy, I could type up the article if you want as I have to copy right next to me on my desk.

I havent seen the scales and tails I will have to have a look but it would be great if you could type out some stuff. I've got a Bredli Python, Bearded Dragon and a Wide-tailed Gecko- had them for years now along with blue tounge lizards and other various pythons as my brother has had snakes for years too so he has shown me how to look after them etc.

Okay so Frilles are definately a bit more advanced than the species you have metioned there but if you think you're ready than go for it.

EXCERPT FROM SCALES & TAILS ISSUE 17 (NOTE: I've Only written Key points)

Despite having the reputation of being difficult to keep, maintenance of Frillies is pretty straightforward. With basic husbandry, they will thrive in their captive environments.

Hatchlings/Juveniles
As with most baby reptiles, they are very similar to adults, just smaller in size. Most reptile hatchlings seem to like smaller, rather than larger enclosures and baby Frillies are no exception. I usually keep Frillies in separate tubs, approximately 40x40x30cm. They have a UV light suspended over the tub and heat is provided by dichoric globes of appropriate wattage, positioned over one end of the tub. Frillies prefer vertical climbing branches. They should be of suitable diameter relative to body size, for example the log or branch should be twice as round as the animal's torso. All branches must be secured firmly so they cannot injure the lizards if they move or fall. Substrate consists of paper to start with, later this can be changed to sand. A small water bowl to allow soaking should be places at the cool end, and changed every day with fresh water. I find woodroaches or "woodies" to be a superior food source compared with crickets, but crickets are suitable if nothing else is available. Dusting live food with calcium should be done with every feed.As they grow and reach suitable size, you can begin to feed pinky mice or rats. The sooner you get them onto this food the better, hatchlings and juveniles need to be fed daily and as much as they can consumer in one sitting. Daily spraying with warm water will assist shedding and allow your animals to drink. Hatchlings usually need to learn the value of standing water(in a bowl), so spraying is essential for hydration. A good soaking won't hurt them and will increase humidity for a few hours. One critical point I have found when keeping Frillies in cool southern area, is the need to keep the coolest part of the cage no lower than 28-29 degrees Celsius.

---------------------------

As I assume you'd start with hatchlings this is all I have type up. If you have more questions or want me to type more up just ask. Although I would be best to get the magazine.

Cheers, Scotty

Talk to the person you want to buy them of there touchy animals that need a great deal of space but overall hands down the best lizards to keep.

Cheers Brenton

Thanks heaps Scotty that helps a lot. I will be getting the mag as soon as I can. My brothers Boydes Forest Dragan seems to be similar care requirements as Frillies. Will definatly be chatting soon.
Lauren

Boyd's are completely different I keep them both if you treat a Boyd like a frilly the Boyd will die if you keep a frilly like a Boyd the frill will not survive 2 weeks. Sorry if I'm harsh but I'm glad your doing some reading on the requirements because your last statement blew my mind. Wow

Cheers Brenton

Hi Lauren,
In regards to the frilly they are amazing animals, I bought these as my first ever reptile about 2 years ago. So I don't know everything that there is to know about them, but here is my story. Although everyone told me that I was crazy for buying frillys, as they were apparently very hard to care for. I bought 2 from hatchies and 1 adult male, they have never looked back since they arrived at my house. I keep them 100% inside in large enclosures, they love to climb high so I have large gum tree branches in the enclosures, the ground is covered in red gum bark chips, and I have a very large sandstone rock in each enclosure under the basking light (which they love). I was surprised at the end of last year my female seemed to get a massive tight belly, so I started to weigh her every day, noticing that she would all of a sudden go up about 50grams in weight. I could actually feel the eggs in her belly a few days before she would lay them. To my surprise they obviously decided to breed for me this year! this was the most exciting thing ever! I currently have babies that are 2-3 weeks old and drop dead gorgeous... and 2 more clutches in the incubator! so I must be doing something right for them to breed at just over 2 years of age. I feed them crickets, woody roaches (which actually live in the enclosure under the bark), super meal worms, and they also munch on the adult pellets. I hope the little bit that i have learnt in the last 2 years will help you make your decision to buy one of these amazing animals. cheers Krystal

Brenton, I did not mean nor imply that I would care for a frillie like a boydes, all as I ment by that comment was that they seemed to be a little more high maintance with the keeping them hydrated and making sure there is humidity in the tank etc (like boydes).

Krystal thank you for a little more in site.That is very exciting that your frillies have bred. Id love to know what size tank you have being an indoor tank.

Brenton, I did not mean nor imply that I would care for a frillie like a boydes, all as I ment by that comment was that they seemed to be a little more high maintance with the keeping them hydrated and making sure there is humidity in the tank etc (like boydes).

Krystal thank you for a little more in site.That is very exciting that your frillies have bred. Id love to know what size tank you have being an indoor tank.

All good

Cheers Brenton

Hi, my enclosures are about 2 meters high and 2 meters long. I am going to get an even larger one made in the next 6 months, although the ones they are in seem to be big enough as they tend to spend more time gripping onto either the branches or basking on the sandstone rock! Until I open the glass sliding door to feed them. Then they decide to come down and eat from my hand! Thanks Krystal

Last edited:
I use 6 feet high 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep for a adult pair.

Cheers Brenton

Hi, my enclosures are about 2 meters high and 2 meters long. I am going to get an even larger one made in the next 6 months, although the ones they are in seem to be big enough as they tend to spend more time gripping onto either the branches or basking on the sandstone rock! Until I open the glass sliding door to feed them. Then they decide to come down and eat from my hand! Thanks Krystal

That's massive must be a big room.

Cheers Brenton

I'm with LTF on this one, frillies arent difficult to keep. The higher the enclosure the better, with plenty of upright branches a waterbowl big enough for them to swim around in and one decent size hide is what you need. Get the biggest enclosure you can. You could use bark for substrate but I've found astro turf to be the best option. Buy three pieces. Use one and change over with a clean one when it gets dirty once a week or as needed. Buy it at bunnings, it's cheap.

Oh, and you'll need a good supply of livefoods. Crickets, roaches and meal worms. Get a colony of mealworms going, feed sparingly as they are fattening and I only feed the freshly shed (cream colored) ones just to be on the safe side. Gut load all live food with bok choy and carrot dusted with calcium powder and woombaroo insectivore mix.

Theres tons of info about them here and elsewhere on the web. Look it up and you'll be fine.

Frillies are awesome, best dragon money can buy in my op.

Do you have your frillies in in wooden enclosures or glass? Just because if you need to keep humidity up a glass one might be better but at the same time it wouldnt keep heat in as well as a wooden enclosure.

Thanks heaps for helping me find out more!

I wouldn't mind getting frillies one day, and this has now made me wanna get them even more!
Does anyone have pics of there enclosures? would be awesome to see!
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back