injured frog ID and advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feurety

Reaction score
Hi all , just got home from work and found this guy at the front door.
Hes in a bad shape, only injuries on the outside are 2 missing eyes but when he opens his mouth its a mess , full of blood but looks like the roof of his mouth is half missing.
Im guessing something has attacked it though the injuries dont add up to an attack.

Any idea what sort of frog it is ?
Im thinking of putting the poor fulla to sleep but want some advice on how to kill a frog humainly or if its even right for me to play god.

Thanks in advance .... hope these pics work.

Aj

Attachments

• froggy 092.jpg
    froggy 092.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 115
  • froggy 093.jpg
    froggy 093.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 103
  • froggy 094.jpg
    froggy 094.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 86
Sooo... no one cares about frogs :(
can anyone suggest how to kill 1 with respect ? or do i just get a hammer out ...

Some people like to put them in freezers and walk away, though I prefer just to slip it into a pillow case and swing it hard onto the ground, this method works very well, over and done with.

let it go and let nature take is course culd turn out to be ok if not it will take its place in the food chain

Well i attempted to clean the wound in his mouth to further assess the damage. Half the top of his mouth was completly missing .. It looks like his eyes were pulled down from the inside and out his mouth :( ....
(sorry for the painfull head image). Im baffeled as to what has happened in this case, a Bird ? Desease ? If only i knew more on what i was to do but i guess thats something to learn in my future. I did what i thought was right and saved fred the frog from more suffering.

Sorry - R.I.P FRED THE FROG

Well i attempted to clean the wound in his mouth to further assess the damage. Half the top of his mouth was completly missing .. It looks like his eyes were pulled down from the inside and out his mouth :( ....
(sorry for the painfull head image). Im baffeled as to what has happened in this case, a Bird ? Desease ? If only i knew more on what i was to do but i guess thats something to learn in my future. I did what i thought was right and saved fred the frog from more suffering.

Injuries are very strange, it's a shame, looked like a nice frog.
It would have just been eaten or something in the wild having no eyes, i would have done the same.

I have those stupid Indian mynah birds do similar things to Bluies so maybe it did this to the frog??

It definantly looks like a bird related attack. Freezing is seen as cruel now after it was discovered that the blood forms ice crystals putting the animal in excrutiating pain before it dies. Placing it in a bag and swinging it hard against concrete wall/ground is the quickest and most humane way to put it to sleep in my opinion.

Sounds like a Crow may have got him.
Crows are known to eat cane toads from the inside out in a similar fashion.

your suppose to put it in your FRIDGE first over night to bring the body temp down slowly then place in freezer.......its a gradual decrease .......

what if the frog doesnt die after u hav just smashed it into the ground?
anyone ever done that to a cane toad? you can do heaps of things to a cane toad before it dies, i'd expect it would b the same for a frog
just take it to the vet an get it put to sleep, the vet wont charge u for it..

what if the frog doesnt die after u hav just smashed it into the ground?
anyone ever done that to a cane toad? you can do heaps of things to a cane toad before it dies, i'd expect it would b the same for a frog
just take it to the vet an get it put to sleep, the vet wont charge u for it..

I have done it to frogs, lizards and about 70 rodents a month, it's a extremely quick way to dispatch animals under around 300g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back