Injured wild python help!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
best thing would be to drop it into a 24hr clinic, a C02 chamber is not a good choice to kill any reptile.

we have done some pretty full on surgerys to save similar cases in bluetongues that have had punctured coelems and gastric ruptures and they have gone well but blueys are tough as nails, and that was with alot of flushing and medications. anatomically speaking the surgical concept is the same as for any other animal (cat or dog). very possible. but for wildlife with no economic backer you may have trouble getting someone to do it in which euthanasia is the humane choice

Its better than hitting it with a hammer...

not in the case of a reptile its not, they tolerate Co2 levels very well, and once they stop breathing they shunt blood in their heart as to bypass the lungs, and there fore it would be a very prolonged painful death. where as a fatal blow to the head all though more 'thugish' would be instant death

And the above posts doesnt even come close to looking into probable other damage from getting run over by a car, could have organ damage spinal damage, anything really. not a nice thing to happen, if only ppl were more careful on the roads.

Last edited:
Well the poor little guy died overnight. I know I probably should have put him out of his misery but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I was just hoping he would survive long enough to get him to a carer who could either get him some vet help or put him down humanely.
Thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes. I guess this is the emotional rollercoaster ride that I can expect when I become a carer.

Sorry to hear you lost him Karly. As stated, it wasn't unexpected but still not fun to deal with I'm sure. I have a friend in WIRES and he told me once that about 80% of his "patients" don't make it. So I guess you should use this to prepare yourself for the majority of cases you are likely to get

:( Thats so sad......although after seeing those pics, its probaly not suprising, its still sad. I read through this thread earlier, & although i actually do agree that ending its suffering quicker was probaly best for it........im with you Karly, i wouldnt have been able to do either.

at least you tried to save him =[ i definitely wouldnt have been able to do it either...

Euthanasia by hammer blow is a difficult thing to do. If you are training to be a carer there will be times when you will come up with animals that need this sort of attention. Run over by car is one particular injury that quite often needs to be treated like this, basically any type of gut wound that makes the gut exposed and opened will not survive.

Its a hard task but you can either end its suffering, or let it suffer. As a carer you should at least approach this subject, and if you don't have the stomach for it find someone in the organization who can be called on for this treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back