Introducing Dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I would really like some tips on introducing dogs together
It will be a boarder collie and my dog that most of u know of jackrussle x foxy
The collie is a desexed female, the jackrussle is a un desexed male
it is the boarder collies yard
she is protective of the yard and i am really nervous on how this is going to go, so please all the advice i can get would be much appreciated thanks!

introduce them straight up in a small area, where you can separate them fast if it gets a bit heated.
i brought a foxy x into a ridgebacks home ..they just smell each other and lil foxy was really scared but ridgey just kept smeeling him. is all good now....hope it goes all well with your dogs :D

Totally depends on what the temperment type of the dogs are, though being a male and a female they should be fine, the girl will probably put him in his place if he annoys her and that will be that, if they were both females...well that would be a different story.

Leave their leads on, just incase you need to seperate them quickly

Best to keep them both busy rather than staring at each other initially. Take them on a walk together with a handler for each dog. Gradually walk closer to each other and see how the dogs go. If they get too excited, go different ways. When they have calmed down because of the movement and exercise, allow them to get closer. It's important that the handlers stay calm through the process, because if you are nervous the dogs will pick up on it right away. When they are good, you can try going back to the yard together and letting them off lead (but supervised).

hey i seen that on tellie :D
That's because it works! Worst way to introduce dogs is two dogs straining on the end of their leads, staring each other in the eye with nervous handlers. Ugh!:rolleyes:

on my profile i think hun if there not there anymore ill repost them in a sec :)
the thing is, my dog is at my house about 40min away from here and i need him at this house with me ASAP i want to try to introduce them fast but do it properly, i dont want to have to put my dog in a kennel but i cant work out how i can do this without going and picking him up daily for slow introductions, (deffinatly hard with the baby thats for sure) im still reading all these posts so thanks lots and ill keep reading

just checked the pics are on the 2nd page of my comments and im about to put up more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back