Jungle not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HAMISH_NOAH

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have has my jungle since this years castle hill expo and for the first two months it was feeding fine, I then moved it into a larger enclosure and it ate twice, feeling it could move onto larger food food I tried feeding a rat (not sure of size) and since then hasn't ate for almost two months I have moved it back into a smaller enclosure feeling it could of been freaked out and still nothing, after it didn't take rats I kept trying feeding mice and still no reaction only biting any help would be appreciated

You shouldn't be swapping your python from enclosure to enclosure. Jungle's have a nature of being scared and unsettled.
i just got a jungle python 3 weeks ago. left him for 4 days. feed him and has taken every feed since then.

It was in the larger enclosure and that's when it stopped eating and became really skitish so I figured if I put it in a smaller enclosure and boosted the heat up it would start its appetite its about 1.5 years old is this to young to go into brumation?

They are up around 34 In the Hot end and about 28 in cool end but they were much lower in the large enclosure and since I have put i her in the smaller one she seems more active

Does anyone know if jungles like birds eg chicks or quail?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if jungles like birds eg chicks or quail?

Yes they do but why do you want to resort to switching food types given that it was feeding well for you for 2 months?

Check temps around 6/7am to get a solid idea of what temps are doing during the coldest part of any day.

I was just going to give it a go as he has now just stoped looking interested, he did have a fall once when it went to bit me and it fell from a branch about 1m up, could this have anything to do with it? Ps this is around the time he stopped feeding

Where was he to fall 1m from a branch? If your worried that the fall may have injured him call the vet.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

In the larger enclosure I had him in.

He just strikes at my hand when I try to feed him

Just wondering why does the morning temps effect it's feeding also if I left a infra red light on during night will this effect it?

I woke up this morning and he had little bits of scales all over him his own of course almost as if he had gone over a really scary surface but their is nothing could he be trying to shed?

Just wondering why does the morning temps effect it's feeding also if I left a infra red light on during night will this effect it?
It actually makes a big difference which is why an experienced keeper is asking you what the temps are during those times. Just having a light on is not going to help your situation unless you know what it's doing for the temps

I woke up this morning and he had little bits of scales all over him his own of course almost as if he had gone over a really scary surface but their is nothing could he be trying to shed?

Some pics would help

Did you measure the temps?

The temps were way to cold this morning about 18 degree and the scales where just because of shedding it shed today, I will try boost up its enclosure temps and would the shedding have something to do with it not feeding?

The temps were way to cold this morning about 18 degree and the scales where just because of shedding it shed today, I will try boost up its enclosure temps and would the shedding have something to do with it not feeding?
Some will eat whilst in shed and others won't but it is common for a snake not to eat whilst in shed. Also the flakey scales sounds like you have had a bad shed, has your snake got fresh water available and is it changed every second day?

Well this would go a long way to explaining why it isn't feeding.Ideally you should be offering temps of around 32C on the warm side and aim for around 25C on the cool side.That temp range should be supplied 24/7 and you will find it will start feeding again.
Don't bother with trying quail or any of the other tricks,just get your husbandry sorted and the snake will do the rest.

Earlier you posted temps of 34/28c so if your cool side went down to 18 in the morning then most likely your hot side dropped the same amount ie a 10 degree drop so the hot side down to 24C

Okay thank you I will boost the temps is it okay to leave a infra red light on all night? Yes fresh water is always available and I spray him a lot

Red light is ok although a ceramic would be better.Forget about spraying him,just make sure the water bowl is big enough for him to get in if he wants to.

If he is too cold it is preferable that he doesn't eat as the rate of metabolism /digestion will be reduced. Once the snakes core temp is restored ( in a small snake 24/7) then it should begin to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back