Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TysonClarke

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just started looking in to snakes would love to any probs with new set up and im still not sure as to what breed to get.
Kind Regards
Tyson

Welcome to the site, Im getting my first snake soon too:D. I think it'll probably be a Childrens.​

Hi, beware snakes are addictive. I have one Murray Darling Carpet Python and one Red Bellied Black Snake. If you are looking to get a large vivarium or upgrade to a large vivarium in the future, the Murray Darling is a superb snake to have. The only downside is the size - in 6 years time he could be over 2.5 meters. The upside is they are extremely friendly and loyal, great feeders, easy to look after and a hatchling can be purchased for $180.
Have fun - Glenn

Thanks everyone

How do permits work in SA and are they required for all snake ?
Tyson

How do permits work in SA and are they required for all snake ?
Tyson

You can have one reptile with no license, only reptiles covered by the basic keep and sell permit though as far as I am aware, e.g. you can't go out and get a croc and just call it your one reptile lol.

Hello fellow SA man. I live near Blackwood - if you're in the area in near future, PM me. If you see my Murray Darling u will get one for sure - what a gal. - Glenn

You can have one reptile with no license, only reptiles covered by the basic keep and sell permit though as far as I am aware, e.g. you can't go out and get a croc and just call it your one reptile lol.

Is it a matter of the Reptile being your only pet when you dont have to apply for a permit? Can anyone clarify this?

Is it a matter of the Reptile being your only pet when you dont have to apply for a permit? Can anyone clarify this?

Your only protected species, i.e. you can have a dog, a cat, a goldfish and one reptile (or any other animal on the basic list).

Animals must be lawfully obtained, eg captive bred or purchased from a licensed fauna dealer.

Animals listed as Basic are fully protected and a permit is required to take any from the wild.

Such animals require constant monitoring to ensure that naturally occurring populations are not exploited for trade. Many of these animals although quite common either in captivity or in a natural environment are likely to be exploited when demand from trade exceeds the supply of captive-bred animals.

A permit is not required to keep 1 individual, however the sale or disposal of that individual animal would require a permit.

Source

Basic List

Of course this is just my understanding of it and I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Your only protected species, i.e. you can have a dog, a cat, a goldfish and one reptile (or any other animal on the basic list).

Animals must be lawfully obtained, eg captive bred or purchased from a licensed fauna dealer.

Animals listed as Basic are fully protected and a permit is required to take any from the wild.

Such animals require constant monitoring to ensure that naturally occurring populations are not exploited for trade. Many of these animals although quite common either in captivity or in a natural environment are likely to be exploited when demand from trade exceeds the supply of captive

A permit is not required to keep 1 individual, however the sale or disposal of that individual animal would require a permit.

Source

Basic List

Of course this is just my understanding of it and I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Makes sense - ta.

yep.. im new to the site and am planning on getting my first snake real soon. I would love a jungle carpet, but think ill start off with a spotted simply because they dont get so big!

yep.. im new to the site and am planning on getting my first snake real soon. I would love a jungle carpet, but think ill start off with a spotted simply because they dont get so big!

I'm thinking about selling my Red Bellied Black Snake and using the money to go towards a Jungle. Anyone got any idea how much a hatchling goes for and what length do they grow to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back